Chapter fifty

Life was but a dream.

I was so unhappy but yet, safe as could be.

Sometimes we have to choose what we win or lose.

I died a thousand deaths for him today and came back weaker every time.

Time was moving in slow motion, two steps forward but four steps back.

Why was the mansion so empty, where had everyone gone to?
20,000 square feet of complete silence in broad daylight and still, it was haunting.

I pushed the door to Antonio's room open just a crack, enough to look inside it one last time. It was empty, quiet, bleak.

The bed was neatly made and the wooden finishing was cleaned with not a speck of dust on it, the floors polished to perfection.

The room smelled of oud and cashmere, mixed with a hint of ginger and... him.

I shut the door behind me, taking a few uneven breaths and headed towards my room. I admired strong people, for I was but that. Crying had been my weakness for the first several months that I had been closed up in this room.

These ivory walls had been my closest friends, drowning out many tearful nights, reaching the deaf ears of the outside world.

After taking a quick glance around the room I exited through the hallway, and made my way down the long flight of steps that seemed to stretch on forever.

Cecilia came running out of the kitchen with a broom in her hand but stopped midway as my attention lowered to the shards of glass sprawled out on the marble floor.
My heart clenched into knots when I knelt down to pick up the shattered pieces of glass, cutting my fingers in the process.

"Signorina." Cecilia's heels clanked against the floor when she rushed to my side, holding out her hands as she crouched down, motioning for me to stop touching the glass.

"I'm so sorry," I said through a quivering voice, holding up my hands, blood dripping from them onto my knees.

Her heels clicked again as she disappeared for a minute, returning with a towel, which she gently wrapped around my fingers and pulled me into her arms.

"I love him so much, Cecilia," I sobbed into her shoulder, although I knew she couldn't understand me.

"Lo so," she replied while massaging my back, I pulled away to see her smiling with a ping of sadness in her eyes. "Tu significhi il mondo per lui."

You mean the world to him.

She helped me up and quietly led us to the bathroom, removing the towel. After inspecting my hands for any pieces of glass, she turned on the water, placing them under the faucet.

Once my hands were cleaned she took out bandages from her pocket, covering a few small cuts on my index and ring finger.

The sting was bearable but the pain felt deeper than a single cut. Was I dodging a bullet or was I making an irreversible mistake by leaving?
Taking a final glance around the gigantic space, I stepped out to the warm sun that was shining brightly in the clear blue sky, not a single cloud in sight.