Chapter seventeen

If there was one thing that I'd come to realize about myself throughout years of depression was that, during these so called episodes, I tend to do a lot of role-playing.

But in this particular stage of my life, playing the strong character was no exception.

I looked at Giada through my tear soaked lashes as she continued to explain the events of the previous night, despite the absolute shock on my face.

"It happens, Adriana. You were drinking quite a lot last night and you fell asleep in the bath."

I shook my head in desertion while she rambled on about the dangers of being intoxicated and how people were known to drown, due to lack of self-awareness when under the influence.

"Giada, she was there. I saw her," I stuttered, a wave of desperation in my tremulous voice.

Her eyebrows furrowed as she stood with her back to the window, her arms crossed and one hand resting on her chin.

"And you're absolutely sure it was one-hundred percent her you saw from under the water?"

I nodded through sniffles, wiping the edge of my nose with a tissue.

"It's a beautiful day today. Let's go out on the balcony," she said, unlocking the glass door.

She was trying to avoid the conversation but I wasn't damn near ready to let it go. Not without clearing up the fact that Eleanor had cowardly attempted to drown me in the bathtub last night.

The lupa hadn't grown the tenacity to confront me on a one-on-one, but instead, had chosen to attack me by surprise.

"You're not going to jump, are you?" she half-joked while looking out to the far distance of the lake.

I sat in one of the bamboo chairs, bringing my knees up to my chest.
Despite the warm weather, I had chosen to wear the only pair of grey sweat pants that were brought along in one of my suitcases, pairing them with a plain white tank top, which belonged to Emma. It had somehow gotten mixed in the laundry and ended up in my closet, back home.
They had selected the most random clothes to stuff into my suitcases, and I barely had anything comfortable to wear.

There were mostly summer outfits, so at least I was good to go for another month. Although summer was coming to an end, apparently here in Italy, the temperatures could still go up to 30 degrees Celsius, until the end of September.

"We should go for a walk." Giada's voice retracted me from my thoughts.

"Are you sure you're allowed to do that?" I asked, giving her a questioning look. "You know, let me roam around in broad daylight?"

She smirked. "The boys aren't here right now, and they won't be until later this evening. We've got a few hours to spare."

"Will you have your gun with you?"

"Adriana—"

"I need to know you’re able to protect me, even if it means you're the one carrying it. I'm not taking any chances."

She frowned, opening her blazer and pushing it to the side, showing the metal strapped to her waist. "You happy?"

I nodded. "Not exactly, but it’s better than nothing."

Summer was my favorite season, and I hadn't gotten the least out of it this year, thanks to a-hole Antonio. The thought of stepping out to the bright sunlight again, after one month of being locked inside, made me feel slightly calmer then I had felt all day. I was more than ready to get out of this mansion.

I followed Giada through the hallway and down the royal staircase, descending to the foyer where a large chandelier, with thousands of tiny crystals hung from the open ceiling.