Chapter ten

Breakfast was served at nine the next morning.

A petite woman in her fifties woke me up, wheeling in a food cart. I could barely keep my eyes open as I watched her carry the plates out to the balcony. I hadn't managed to get in any sleep all night. She set the plates on the table, offering a warm smile before she left.

I took a quick shower, slipping into a light summer dress that went down to my knees, letting my hair dry beneath the warm sun. The garden lawn was being attended to, and the smell of freshly cut grass reminded me of the countryside I used to live in with one of my foster families.

The beauty of the landscape was calming and for a brief moment, it felt as if all the problems had been lifted off of my shoulders. I ate the delicious meal in silence while listening to the faint splashes of water that occasionally hit the rocks below.

"Sono Cecilia," the petite woman said, collecting the dishes from the table and placing them in the tray.

I returned the smile, giving her a slight nod. "Adriana."

"Lo so," she replied, wiping down the glass table with a cloth.

When I reentered the bedroom, my bed was already made with fresh linen sheets, the color of mint. I plopped onto it. I brought my knees up to my chest, resting my head on them.

The door opened and I nearly jumped off of the bed.

Giada!

She stood in the doorway with her arms folded to her chest. We stared at each other for a minute before my nerves started to kick in.

"Giada, where have you been?"

Her head leaned to the side as she stood against the door-frame.
I stared at her with pleading eyes, and she shook her head. "Please, you have to help me."

"Oh, now you want Giada's advice, huh?" She made her way across the room to the glass door. "Beautiful view, isn't it?"

I strutted to her side, intertwining my fingers together and impatiently waiting for her response.

"I assume you've met Antonio, judging from your querulous behavior?" she spoke before turning to face me again.

"Giada, I'm in serious trouble."

"You think so?" she replied with a chuckle.

"Did they―" I hesitated; studying her demeanor. "Did they hurt you?"

Her eyebrows shot up with amusement.

"And now you care about my well-being, I suppose?"

"I'm really sorry. I didn't mean for you to get in any kind of trouble. I made a mistake."

She sighed, taking a seat on the white sofa and ran her hands through her silky black hair.

Cecilia came in with two cups of black coffee, and porcelain, filled with sugar cubes that she placed down on the table, handing a cup to Giada. I dragged the vanity chair and sat across from her, staring at my own reflection in the clear glass.

"It's not about the money, is it?" I spoke while keeping my eyes on the table.

"Look around you, Adriana. Do you think that eight million is going to make a difference to a man who lives in a place like this?"

I shook my head lightly as I raised the cup to my lips, grimacing at the terrible taste.

"So, it's about teaching me a lesson then?"

She placed her cup down, resting her back on the cushion.

"Antonio isn't like Niccolo. He doesn't thrive on inflicting pain, but he can easily hurt you if you attempt to screw with him." Her face was stern again. "Especially, when concerning his businesses."