70

Living with Taehyun has been nothing but a taste of bliss in the mix of his bland life. He feels grateful. Grateful that he is now able to live a happy and fulfilling life- a life he never thought he'd be able to live.

"Taehyun! Are you done yet?" Beomgyu called out, his eyes resting on his watch, which read 10:30 am.

"Coming!" A voice called out as the brunette came running down the stairs, buttoning his black blazer.

"Again, I'm really grateful you wanted to come along," he spoke, managing a weak smile.

"Of course, how can I not?" Taehyun replied.

This was one of the many reasons why Beomgyu loved the latter so much; Taehyun always made sure that he never feels alone; that he will always be there for him when he needs someone the most.

"Let's get going then."

»»—— ——««

Marble-white gravestones and green wands of grass stood in the sunlit pathway as the crisp sound of their shoes walking over dried grass crunched with every step they took towards the end of the cemetery. Warm sunlight bathed the scene in their view, long shadows cast over the plains.

Beomgyu came to a stop at two twin headstones, and that was when Taehyun figured that they had arrived at the latter's late parents' graves. He folded a hand neatly over the other, his eyes resting on the names both gravestones bore as his boyfriend placed a bouquet of white roses they bought earlier from a quaint flower shop downtown.

Today marks one year since his father has died. As much as Beomgyu absolutely loathed that man, a part of him knew that, no matter how badly he had treated him, they still shared the same blood. And the thought of that made him feel mildly sick.

They shared the same blood, yet, the man couldn't treat Beomgyu like a human being. He didn't even allow the boy to visit his mother's grave. This is the first time in his whole life has the boy visited his late mother.

"I'm here, mother," Beomgyu spoke gently, his eyes gazing lovingly onto the portrait of his late mother which laid in front of the headstone, "I'm sorry for visiting so late, I hope you'll excuse that," he continued, trying to find the words in his mind to possibly explain his emotions—

His eyes travelled to his father's portrait; the face he feared the most now nothing but a mere picture. No other words were needed to be spoken to that man, nearly as if the mere presence of him was more than enough to pay his respects.

But then again, it was thanks to his father that Beomgyu relied on Taehyun as a safe place, that he first fell for the boy from the start, because Taehyun had provided him with the warmth and comfort as a companion far more than his father ever will.

That man was a horrible person and a horrible father. But it was because of his coldness and neglect that made Beomgyu cherish Taehyun so much... and in a way, he was thankful.

Thankful for those years of pain and crying that bloomed him to be the beautiful person he is today, filled with the love and affection he was ready to give back to others.

»»—— ——««

Dusk fell as the blue sky soon turned into a plentiful mix of vibrant colours and the sun beginning to set over the horizon. Golden sun sifted through the curtains, setting Beomgyu's room aglow as the soft clicking of his keyboard filled the room.

"And it's done!" Beomgyu cried, heaving a heavy sigh as he slumped down in his armchair.

"What is?" Asked Taehyun, getting up from the bed as he pulled a chair next to the latter by his desk.

"My first ever assignment. Mr Jung tasked us to write an autobiography—and I'm finally done with mine. It definitely took a while, but here it is!"  He pointed to his laptop screen, "and—I want you to read it," Beomgyu continued, looking rather nervous.

"Sure," he replied, "after all, this is maybe your first-ever potential piece to be published," Taehyun said as he turned the laptop.

The Boy Next Door it is called as he scrolled through the first few pages; the cover, the contents, and the acknowledgements:

Thank you to my beloved friends, who filled my life with joy.
Thank you to Mr Jung for guiding me all this while.

And...

Thank you to the boy next door, who will always love and be there for me.

"Who's 'the boy next door'?" Taehyun quizzed.

Beomgyu let out a soft chuckle. "The boy next door is you," he smiled, "you're the one I dedicated this book to, because if I hadn't met you... well... I don't know if I would be living, breathing at this very moment," Beomgyu spoke gently, his voice soothing and genuine as he brushed Taehyun's bangs out of his face.

"You've come so far, and I couldn't be anymore proud of you," Taehyun smiled warmly as he wrapped his arms around the latter.

"And it's all thanks to you," he beamed. "Thank you, for everything."

The Boy Next Door : End