42

After having their lunch, Taehyun and Beomgyu headed towards the locker rooms to change for PE. Just as they were about to enter, a piercing sensation erupted on the side of Beomgyu's abdomen as he held onto the wall for support.

"Beomgyu—are you okay?" Asked Taehyun, rushing to his side.

"On second thought, I think I'm gonna change in the toilets—I'll catch up with you in the sports hall later!"

"Wait!" Taehyun called out, but Beomgyu was already sprinting towards the nearest bathroom before heading inside.

»»—— ——««

Beomgyu entered the sports hall, still wearing his mask, before settling next to Taehyun who was waving at him amongst the crowd.

He quickly took the space next to the brown-haired boy before being told, "if anyone ever asks where you got that bruise from, just say that I accidentally hit you in the face using a dodgeball."

He gave Taehyun a smile and a nod before turning his attention back to Coach Jeon, who was explaining the game they will be playing today; basketball. Once he was done, a mix of groans and cheers were heard from the sea of students as they took their places on either side of the courts.

Beomgyu, Taehyun and a few other students formed one team, while Yeonjun was on the other. While deciding who would reach for the ball at the start of the game, everyone on the team immediately voted for Taehyun to represent them (considering his extraordinarily uncanny talent for sports).

Taehyun and Yeonjun took their positions at the centre of the court, holding a firm handshake as their eyes locked. As the sound of Coach Jeon's whistle echoed across the hall, they both leapt upwards, desperately trying to get a grasp of the ball.

With agility and speed, Taehyun's fingers met the ball's smooth surface first as he grabbed onto it before dribbling towards the opposite side of the court. Completely dodging the opponent's attempts at blocking him, he swiftly made his way towards the hoop, scoring a perfect goal.

Rallies and praises were heard from their side of the team as they applauded Taehyun for a successful point earned. Beomgyu, too, was clapping happily before feeling the side of his abdomen searing with pain once more.

Sweeping aside the discomfort, Beomgyu inhaled a deep breath as he took his position on the court. He looked up to now see Yeonjun running straight towards him–his mind still fixated on the pain he was feeling in his chest, Beomgyu froze in his place as they locked eyes.

Yeonjun hesitated for a moment before losing control of the ball as he dropped it on the floor, making it roll towards Beomgyu's direction as he scooped it up.

"Beomgyu! Over here!" Cried Taehyun, waving his hands frantically in the air. Without thinking twice, Beomgyu threw the ball into Taehyun's outstretched hand as he scored another goal.

"What was that?" Beomgyu heard someone from Yeonjun's team ask.

"I don't know," replied Yeonjun, looking towards Beomgyu's direction, who quickly diverted his gaze.

Minutes in the game has passed as Beomgyu felt dizzier by the second. Just then, he heard someone scream his name as Beomgyu turned his head around to see the basketball hurling straight at him.

His feet rooted to the ground, and his arms frozen in place, Beomgyu stood there, motionless, as the ball hit the side of his head. Feeling his head spinning around madly, Beomgyu placed a hand over his head in an attempt to stop the swirling sensation.

"BEOMGYU! Are you okay?" He heard Taehyun shout as the latter rushed to his side, grabbing onto Beomgyu's shoulders to provide support. But before Before Beomgyu even got the chance to reply, he felt his head go light as his vision went black.