57

He had always dreamed of being separated from that man. Wishing every night before going to bed that his father would die and rot in the pits of hell as Beomgyu cried himself to sleep after getting spanked by him. How he'd cry and beg that the man would be sent somewhere far, far away.

But now that his wish had actually come true, it felt like a slap of reality as Beomgyu had to remind himself that this was all real and not another made-up fantasy in his head. His father will no longer be there to torment him any longer

Beomgyu looked over to his father's portrait which sat on top of wreaths of white flowers. His black eyes boring into his as shivers were sent down his spine.

He and Taehyun have been here since morning; greeting each of the guests who came to pay their condolences to his late father. Yet, none of them bothered to talk about his mistreatment at home even though Beomgyu very well knew they've read about it in the news.

Even his relatives, who came to the funeral, hadn't bothered to acknowledge the fact that he has been abused. Beomgyu couldn't blame them though, his father must've bragged about what an "insolent" of a son he was whenever he got the chance to which partially explains the reasons why they had all been shooting the poor boy disdainful glares when entering and before leaving.

He was awakened from his trance by a knock from the funeral door. To his shock, a lady, a head shorter than him, stood there. Her clothes weren't black like any of the people who came to visit his father, and that was when Beomgyu got the hint that she wasn't here to pay condolences to the late Mr Choi in the first place.

Deciding to act as if he hadn't acknowledged her presence, Beomgyu turned around until being abruptly stopped by the sound of his name—

"Choi Beomgyu," the woman spoke, "that's your name, right?"

"Yes," Beomgyu replied flatly, slightly confused as to how she knew his name.

"Could I see you for a moment outside?"

"I'll wait in here," said Taehyun. Beomgyu gave the latter a nod before following the lady outside.

»»—— ——««

"I just wanted to ask a few things," she said immediately once they were outside of the funeral room. The lady brought out a pen and a notepad from her bag—a reporter, Beomgyu thought to himself.

What was she about to ask him? Sure, he wanted someone to acknowledge the news of his mistreatment at home. But he wanted to hear it from someone he actually knew; someone who actually cared about him. He didn't want the matter to be talked about like this—not when he was just here as somebody's free ticket to a salary raise.

"So, Beomgyu. It is given that your father has been treating you horribly at home, what can you say about this? Please, give as many details as you can," she asked, her doe eyes sparkling with greed.

"I-I'm sorry, but I'm not interested in this," Beomgyu mumbled as he attempted to walk away before being stopped by a hand holding back his.

"Can you confirm that your father has, indeed, been mistreating you? Do you have any sort of proof behind these rumours—"

"IT'S NOT A RUMOUR!" He bellowed, his eyes welled with hot tears and his hand trembling under her grip. Beomgyu froze for a few moments, realising his emotions had gotten the best of him. "Please, excuse me," he said before running towards the nearest bathroom.

»»—— ——««

The sound of the tap running rung across the bathroom as Beomgyu cupped his hands, collecting a handful of the cold water before splashing it onto his face. He didn't want to stay here any longer.