44

Feeling his senses coming back to him, Beomgyu opened his eyes to see the purely white ceiling. He used his hands to support himself before feeling a jab on his forearm; there was an IV drip being inserted into his hand. That was when he realised that he, in fact, was no longer in the school.

Surrounding him was an unfamiliar setting: mint-blue curtains, and the strong floral scent coming from the mist diffuser which sat on top of the vanity beside his bed.

He looked out of the room's window to see the night skyline of Seoul glimmering back at him. How long has it been since he had blacked out? Was it already nighttime?

As Beomgyu tried to get on his two feet, he felt a piercing sensation erupting from the side of his chest.

Lifting his shirt gingerly, Beomgyu saw layers of bandages being wrapped around his abdomen. Just then, the sound of the door sliding open was heard as Taehyun walked inside the room.

He stood there for a few moments, too flustered to say or react to anything before running towards Beomgyu's side.

"Are you okay? Does it still hurt?" Should I call for the nurse—"

"I'm okay," smiled Beomgyu. Taehyun brought a chair next to the bed, reaching for Beomgyu's hand as their fingers intertwined.

Taehyun held his gaze as they stared into each other's eyes before being shortly interrupted by a knock on the door. A nurse entered the room, carrying a clipboard and a blank expression on her face.

"The right side of his rib is slightly bruised and swollen. He might have to stay in the hospital for the next two days or so to check if there were any internal injuries or broken ribs," she spoke.

"Then what about him blacking out just now?" inquired Taehyun.

"It's probably because bruised ribs may occasionally cause light-headedness or dizziness. But we think it's also due to another factor called stress, because judging from the test results, his blood pressure seemed abnormally high," The nurse replied. "But from the readings right now, Beomgyu's blood pressure seemed to have returned to reading within the normal range, meaning that he won't be needing the IV drip any longer. A few other nurses will come to remove it later."

"I see," said Taehyun, "thank you." The nurse quickly replied with a courteous bow as she left the room.

Beomgyu gripped the edge of the hospital blanket tightly.

His mind and thoughts were all over the place. For starters, he was overjoyed not being able to return home, especially after what his father had done to him during the last few days. But now with him being in the hospital —and him not telling Taehyun about how the side of his rib had been hurting during school— what would the latter think of him and their trust? Beomgyu wouldn't blame him though. If he were in his shoes, he wouldn't be able to trust himself either. But to his utter surprise, Taehyun asked, "so, how are you feeling?"

He sat there, dumbfounded for a few moments before uttering, "I feel fine."

"That's a relief," said Taehyun with a smile as he ruffled Beomgyu's hair lovingly. "By the way, shall I get you something to eat? Once they remove your IV drip and all," he asked.

"I don't feel hungry right now," replied Beomgyu flatly.

"Maybe ice cream?" Taehyun suggested. The thought of ice cream did sound appetising. Succumbing to his craving and liking for sweet things, Beomgyu replied with a 'yes' as Taehyun went down to buy his boyfriend a cup of ice cream.

After paying for the ice cream, Taehyun went back up to the room to see Beomgyu finally free from the IV drip stand.

"Thank you," said Beomgyu, who immediately took a spoonful of vanilla ice cream.

"No problem," Taehyun replied with a smile. A few more hours have passed as Taehyun stayed there to keep Beomgyu company until the latter has finally felt sleepy. Just as he got up, Taehyun reached for the gift bag he kept under Beomgyu's bed before taking out a medium-sized blear plushie from inside; it was a Ryan the bear plush wearing a blue hoodie.

"To keep you company while you sleep here," he said, reading Beomgyu's puzzled expression.

"You really didn't have to," mumbled Beomgyu, but Taehyun could immediately read the latter's joyful expression as he held up the plush with a smile across his face.

"I'll get going now, sleep with it and dream of me," joked Taehyun as he let out a giggle. "Bye-bye!"

Beomgyu waved goodbye to Taehyun as he left the door with a click. Giving his Ryan the bear plush a peck on its forehead, he turned the lights off as he tucked himself in bed. His hands wrapped around the plushie as Beomgyu soon fell asleep.