59

Taehyun climbed up the stairs, a wave of thoughts rushing through his mind. As he reached the final step, he saw Beomgyu's shocked, perplexed face blinking back at his.

Beomgyu heard the conversation.

"Do you mind heading out for dinner?"

»»—— ——««

Barely an hour ago, Taehyun had found out that his parents were planning to move back to the States. And within that hour, he had made an impulsive decision—to which his parents actually agreed to.

What was he thinking? Him? Win a national competition? He might as well get ready to pack his bags to the US because the chances of him winning were equivalent to him liking mint chocolate-flavoured ice cream.

And that was impossible.

And now, here he is, sitting across his boyfriend in a hotpot place as Taehyun stalled to break the news of him moving AND his decision to join the competition. That is, if Beomgyu hasn't already heard his conversation back there.

The sound of their soup bubbling accompanied the awkward silence between them as it was the only noise audible to Taehyun other than his own thoughts inside of his head. What is he going to do?

"Taehyun?" he heard Beomgyu's voice speak. The mention of his name snapped Taehyun out of his daze as he looked up. "Yes?"

"So you're moving back to the States?" Asked Beomgyu as unbothered as he could.

"If I win the competition, then I won't. And don't worry, because I'll do everything in my power to make sure that I do win," said Taehyun coolly. But he could only lie to himself for so long. On the inside, he was a mess. It felt as if his brain had tied itself in hundreds of knots, and he hadn't had the faintest idea how to untangle it. He felt lost. He didn't know what to do—

"You don't have to lie to me, Taehyun," Beomgyu whispered gently, his voice soft and comforting, like a rivulet trickling in his ears. "I know you're probably feeling confused, and overwhelmed with all sorts of emotions and thoughts right now. So please, let me help you; I'm here for you."

Without even realising, a single tear fell from the corner of Taehyun's wet eyes as he began to bury his face in his hands, feeling as if this was his breaking point and that all the walls he had put up had crumbled into dust. Instinctively, Beomgyu got up from his seat as he sat next to Taehyun on the couch. Patting his back, giving Taehyun space and time to spill it all out once he was ready.

"I-It's just t-that—I don't want to leave you—" the boy articulated in between heavy breaths. "I d-don't want t-to leave anyone—I just want to stay here and be happy."

Beomgyu's heart softened at the sight of Taehyun in his vulnerable state. For as long as he knew, the latter had always been so concealing of his worries and concerns. But for him to allow Beomgyu to be next to him when he wasn't in his most presentable state says a lot about their trust for one another.

Beomgyu bit his lip. He didn't want Taehyun to leave either.

"We'll join that competition, and we will win it. Then you won't have to go," Beomgyu whispered, rubbing his back.

"We?" Taehyun repeated weakly.

"We," Beomgyu replied with a smile. "I'll join it with you," he spoke, exchanging a grin.

"T-Thank you," he said, resting his head onto the latter's shoulder.

"Of course; I'm here for you, Taehyun," Beomgyu smiled.