It took me a moment but I was able to get the small knife I hid in there. Cutting the rope that tied my feet and hands wasn't quick work but it was effective.

I wasted no time in heading for the hallway that the woman had mentioned. Another classic mistake. Telling me where to find what I'm looking for. It couldn't have been easier even if they had tried.

The sound of a woman humming inside one of the rooms caught my attention. I stopped for a split second before taking a deep breath and gripping the knife tighter in my hand.

I was about to charge in when I heard her yells. One peek inside made me freeze. I know I've had a lot of reunions but this was not one I expected.

Carol was fighting a young brunette woman. It seemed pretty brutal but all I could do was admire it. There was no joy to be felt, only shock. I only seemed to snap out of it when Carol was about to lose.

My knife found its way into the woman's throat. For a split second, however, I was back in the prison. Ryan's bloody neck on full display as his blank eyes looked into mine. My grip on the knife tightened for a moment.

Then I pulled it out and turned to Carol. "You took your sweet time coming back."

A smile formed on her face as she took a step towards me. Her eyes were already outstretched, prepared for a hug when we heard it. The cries that echoed throughout the room.

I moved towards the sound and found myself in front of the crib. A ghost of a smile passed my lips as I bent down and picked up the crying baby girl. I hushed her as her eyes bore into mine.

Ryan's eyes.

She was such a small and frail thing. The thought of those people merely holding her made me want to murder them. She was too precious to be tainted by them.

"Carol, meet Rhea," I swayed the baby in my arms holding her as softly as I could manage, "and Dorian."

My gaze was redirected to the baby boy sleeping in the crib, completely unaware his twin sister was getting all the attention. Carol smiled before picking up Dorian without waking him up.

"They're beautiful. Ryan and Dorothy are so lucky." she commented.

At the mention of their names, I momentarily stopped breathing. Rhea stirring in my arms made me snap out of it. I can't think about that right now. My niece and nephew need to get to somewhere safe.

"Yes, they are."

------

My eyes hungrily took in the way Daryl was holding Carol as close as he possibly could. Good to know they all made it out thanks to her ingenious plan.

"Let me hold her." Dakota said before taking Rhea from my arms.

Holding two babies at once wasn't comfortable nor safe, but if Carol hadn't handed me Dorian then Daryl would've squished him to death when he hugged her.

I kissed Dorian's forehead before passing him into the willing arms of Maggie. As much fun as babies are, not my area of expertise. I'll protect them, but raising them is a whole other thing.

Rick slipped past Maggie and wrapped one arm around me pulling me into him. Despite the involuntary public act, the gesture was very much welcome. I had no way of knowing whether they made it out or not after they were taken.

Having him touch me in any way was a comfort that I didn't expect to have the luxury of. It lasted way too short for my liking as Rick turned to Carol.

"Did you do that?"

The tears that gathered in her eyes gave enough context. Yet Rick still hesitated until Carol gave the slightest of nods. In that moment, it was clear that he forgave her for everything that went down at the prison.