72|back to beacon hills

Start from the beginning

I smiled back, waving to the two women, "Hey, guys. I'm good, just trying to find ways to keep busy before school starts."

"I hope you're still coming down next month for the weekend?" Iris asked. "Your sister hasn't stopped going on about it."

"Of course," I laughed. "It's on the calendar; I'll be there."

"Great!" Charlotte grinned. "Where's Stiles? We want to congratulate him on his first day."

"He's not home yet, sorry. I'll text you when he is though."

"That's okay, we'll call back later and ask."

"How are things back home?"

The two women shared a look, both of them quick to smile. "They're good," Iris told me.

Something about the look they had shared had thrown me. "Really? It doesn't sound like it."

"Really," Charlotte insisted. "Let us know when Stiles gets home, and we'll call back."

I was still doubtful of them but knew they weren't about to tell me the truth. We all said goodbye, before hanging up.

I then scrolled through my contacts and found Malia's name, ringing her. I stared at my laptop screen, waiting patiently for her to answer.

When she did, I saw her sitting on her bed, a couple of books by her side. "Hey, Riley. I thought we were going to talk tomorrow morning?"

"Yeah, I know, sorry," I apologised. "I just wanted to check in. Something seemed a bit off with Charlotte and Iris, and I wanted to make sure everyone was okay."

The girl shrugged, "I mean, there's been some dead wolves, there was a piles of dead rats, and Lydia had a weird vision, but nothing's happened. I'm still going to Paris."

The way she had spoken was so non-chalent, but I knew she was lying. "Really? Because your flight left an hour ago, Mal."

She stumbled for a moment, her mouth opening and closing. "Right. Yeah, it did. I-"

"Tell me the truth."

Malia sighed, pushing the laptop back and I realised that she was in Scott's bedroom. She was then joined by Lydia, Scott and Isaac, who all gave me sad smiles.

"We told you not to say anything," Lydia said to Malia.

She shrugged, "I didn't think those things would matter."

"Of course they matter."

"Can someone please tell me what's going on?"

Scott's smile fell as he looked at me through the screen, "There has just been some. . . strange things happening. And there's a hunter who managed to kill a Hellhound."

My mouth fell open, "I thought that was impossible?"

"So did we," Isaac said.

"I'm coming back," I announced without hesitation. "I'm getting on a flight tomorrow."

Scott immediately shook his head, "No. We can handle this, Riley. You and Stiles-"

"Stiles won't be coming," I said, interrupting him. "I almost lost him last time. I'm not risking that again."

"Riley, please."

I sighed, "Scott, we've known each other nearly our whole lives. Do you really think you can change my mind?"

They all looked at each other, seeming disappointed that they had involved me. Isaac pursed his lips, "I guess we'll see you tomorrow, then."

"See you tomorrow," I confirmed, hanging up on them.