Chapter 13

30th May 2019

NOAH

Renee's grey irises looked up at me, lighting up with laughter as she pointed to the stream.

"You just threw your watch away?" She questioned, her lips curved in a grin. "Don't you need it back?"

I stared at her for a few more seconds, before realising that she was waiting for an answer.

"You mean this one?" I pulled my watch out of my pocket, throwing her a playful smirk.

Renee's eyes widened in surprise. "How did you do that?"

"That's a secret," I gave her a wink.

"Noah!" Renee pouted like a baby, looking unnecessarily adorable. "Please."

"It's not a real object, just a lighter version of it. I can imagine it whenever I want, and it would appear in front of me." I explained as I handed her the watch.

"That's so cool!" Renee exclaimed as she studied my watch. "And it feels so solid too."

She handed it back to me, her palm just the perfect size to fit in mine. The winds blew, messing up my hair again, and I pushed it back into place, gazing up at the sky.

Then I saw it, a faint line of darkness peeking through her fiery sunset. The edge of her Realm.

And right now, anyone could enter through it. Including the ISA.

"What's wrong?" Renee furrowed her brows as she followed my gaze.

"We need to shield this place from the ISA," I told her, as I opened my duffel bag. "Quickly, before they find out that the Realm is permanent."

"Okay," Renee nodded, as she watched me pull out the Shield from my bag. It was a fluid like transparent material, that could float in the air. Right now, it was small, but once I charged it with my energy, it would be big enough to cover the Realm.

"This is the Shield?" Renee asked me, giving me a curious look. "Is this going to hide the Realm?"

"Yes," I nodded, now unfurling the Shield. It spread out to the size of a large blanket, which clearly wasn't enough.

"Can the ISA detect it?" She asked.

"No." I grinned at her. "They have no idea that the Shield exists.

"Why?" Renee raised her eyebrows.

"Because my friend and I invented the Shield. And made sure that the ISA never got their hands on it." I told her, my mind reeling back to all that had happened.

My heart felt heavy at the thought, my eyes stinging with tears. I turned away from Renee, in an attempt to hide my face, as I worked on the Shield.

Renee stopped talking, now watching the Shield curiously. She was inquisitive, but she knew not to pry into my thoughts. I really admired that about her.

I stretched the Shield, moving my fingers delicately, focusing on sending my energy through it. The Shield was a fragile object, and I had to be extremely careful while handling it. It was like blowing a huge soap bubble, and I tried to ensure that it didn't break.

As the Shield expanded, Renee looked at it in awe, her mouth hanging open as I imbibed my energy into it. My arms began to hurt from being stretched out, and beads of sweat appear on my forehead.

Did I forget to mention that this thing was like a vacuum cleaner, sucking every last bit of energy from me?

The Shield was now the size of a house, but it needed to be larger. As I expanded it, I wondered if my energy would be enough. To make it the size of the whole Realm.