Chapter 7

24th May 2019

RENEE

I thought of a place, a place of peace and quiet. A place where I could be myself, a place where I could relax.

A meadow came immediately to my head. A meadow of flowers, in the middle of summer.

I focused on the place, hoping that Noah would enter.

"Noah," I called out, "I'm here."

However, there's no reply.

I focused on Noah, his blue eyes, his smile. I tried to bring him to this place, but it was impossible.

Was I doing something wrong?

I tried to think about the meadow, filled with warm yellow flowers, the sky a golden shade of sunset. I imagined myself sitting in the meadow, surrounded by flowers all over. I felt the wind blowing on my face, and I inhaled deeply, the sweet scent of honeysuckle invading my nostrils.

There was still no change.

I stayed in the meadow, trying not to drift anywhere else as I waited for him.

Waited for a long long time, before collapsing into darkness again.

*****

25th May 2019

I'd been at this hospital for six days now and I'd forgotten what being alone was like.

For one thing, there was always someone watching over me, either Mom, Dad or Mike. Which meant that I couldn't meditate, or focus on making a Realm.

Of course, while dreaming, I accidentally kept slipping into the Spirit Realm, but only for a few minutes, and I'd leave before anyone noticed.

I knew that my family wouldn't take the news about the Spirit Realm well. They'd think that I'd lost my mind, and send me for therapy again.

This is why Clover was my only hope.

Yesterday, I'd told Clover that I'd nearly died and that I'd gone to the Spirit Realm. However, my mom came in at the precise moment, interrupting us in the guise of bringing snacks.

Mom must've heard me mention dying. She'd been extremely overprotective, ever since Mike had told us that he wanted to suicide.

When I woke up the next evening, I saw Clover sitting on a nearby stool, playing with her Tarot cards as usual.

When she saw me, she jumped up excitedly, "Oh my god, Renee, you're awake."

"Cloves, my parents aren't here right?" I asked her in a hushed whisper.

"No... And Mike is busy too, he's attending a call." She told me calmly, before breaking into a fit of giggles.

She came close to me and whispered with a mad grin, "He's back Renee. Hotter than ever."

"Eew," I managed to let out, but Clover was busy dancing around the room that she didn't notice me.

Typical Cloves.

I found myself smiling at her, noticing that she was so much happier than she'd been. Maybe my accident was a good thing because it brought my brother back.

Clover had a serious crush on my brother for nearly two years. She never really got around to asking him out, regretting it terribly once he ran away.

"Talk to him... yet?" I asked her, feeling my voice catch in my throat.

"No, I just saw him from far." Clover nervously twirled her hair. "I'm hoping to strike a conversation with him."