OVERTURE: A Freudian Suite of the Jung

Authors note: A Freudian Slip of the Jung was my first long form written work

Authors note: A Freudian Slip of the Jung was my first long form written work. I had only written sketches, songs and boring University essays before this play.

Why did I write it?

I had been working as a comedy musical director but I was tired of it. I realized that people no longer saw me as a writer or actor. They had put me in a box behind a synthesizer. So when I first wrote this I was determined not to have any music in it at all. But the director, Bruce Hunter, insisted I write some background music. A Freudian Suite of the Jung (link above please enjoy) is a collection of all the original music I wrote for the play. The musical that followed is based on all of this music from the original version. The video tells the story of the history of the play.

This transitional time of my life, when I wrote and produced the play, was very difficult. But this play turned everything around for me. The comedy theatres I worked for were suffocating. I had been experiencing strange coincidences and I was having a deep spiritual crisis. This led me to the writings of Carl Jung. Surprisingly I found relief in the comedy of the silly and surprising stories of what happened between Freud and Jung.

What is next for the musical? Producing a musical in pandemic times is all but impossible. So I have decided to revise the musical on WATTPAD. There is one more song that needs to be written but I will probably be rewriting the whole play as we go. Musicals are never really finished...

Starting next Monday I will post one song or scene a week. On Monday May 10/2021 I will post the Opening Monologue and song "I'm Going to see the Doctor". See you then... and every Monday afterward till it is done.