"Ah, princesse, I saw you through the window and just had to be the one to greet you," he explained upon noticing my confusion for how he knew when to open the door. His arm was resting against the frame of the door as he casually leaned against it, the grin never leaving his face. I watched his eyes scan me up and down and then, if even possible, his smile only seemed to grow. Aren't his cheeks sore? "That's a beautiful dress - perfect for such a beautiful woman."

"And you - handsome as always," I replied, hating the way my face grew hotter with his compliment. Seeing Fabio reminded me of my birthday where I had danced with him to try and get Max's attention and to annoy Marcus, who didn't want me to sleep with any of his mates. "You don't happen to know where Marcus is, do you? Need to make sure I can spend the night."

Fabio bit down on his bottom lip, the look in his eyes from from innocent. "You could always come home with me and spend the night?"

I rolled my eyes playfully and gently pushed his shoulder. "Dream on."

"Aww, where's the fun in that?" he joked. "Besides I don't see a..." Fabio trailed off, his mouth dropping open more and more the longer his gaze fixated on my left hand, "ring." My eyes widened in surprise and I had to forcibly clamp my hand over his mouth to halt the noise that threatened to alert everyone around us. I pulled him by the fabric of his shirt so that he was outside with me and slammed the door shut behind him. The music was suddenly dulled and I finally removed my hand from Fabio's mouth. "Oh my God! You're engaged?!"

"Shh!" I hushed him.

"To Max?!"

"What part of 'shh' don't you understand?" I questioned, eyes still wide and frantic. Without much thought, I gripped the thin gold band between my right-hand fingers and slipped the piece of jewellery from my ring finger. "Not a word to anyone or I will-"

"Lys?" I was interrupted by the front door swinging open and it felt like someone had tipped a bucket of ice water over my head. I forced a smile to hide my jitters as I turned to look at Marcus, who was standing in the doorway, looking between Fabio and I with a furrowed brow. As inconspicuously as I could, I hid my hands behind my back so that Marcus wouldn't catch a glimpse of the ring in my hand. "I saw the door close. I-What's going on? What are you doing here?"

"Oh," I nervously laughed, tilting slightly to one side so that I could push the ring through the small gap in the zip of my duffle bag. "Just catching up with Fabio, here. I was also hoping that I'd be able to spend the night?" My pitch increased towards the end of my sentence as I looked hopeful up at Marcus.

Marcus's folded his arms tightly across his chest. "What has Verstappen done now?"

I ignored Fabio as he mouthed Max's name excitedly. Either nothing could get past Marcus or the grudge he holds against Max automatically makes him assume he's done something wrong. "Nothing," I reassured. "I just need some space, that's all." The look on M's face along told me that he didn't believe me. I wanted to tell him the truth about everything and get it all off my chest but in front of Fabio was not the place to do it. Marcus already doesn't like Max and I'm sure when I explain everything, it'll tip him over the edge. It's the very reason why he doesn't know about the engagement, or why I don't plan on telling him until a later date. He wouldn't have noticed me wearing my ring around the paddock; no-one else really did.

"I swear, if he's hurt you in anyway I'll-"

"You'll what?" I interrupted, raising my eyebrow. "Beat him up?" I used a mocking tone as a way to take the edge off. "M, you've never punched anyone in your life."

Marcus shrugged his shoulders. "There's always a first for everything."

"If there is going to be a fight, put me down fifty on Verstappen," Fabio said with a laugh, his sole purpose of annoying Marcus. It seemed he had done a good enough job as my best friend was grabbing the Frenchman's shoulders and pushed him inside. The door was closed firmly behind him, leaving Marcus and I to stand in the hot sunlight that illuminated the front of his house.