-[Chapter 40]- "Happily Ever - Before"

For it was just a distant past...

...Where the lovers dreamt of...

...everlasting peace...

...and a future, that is not so bleak

---

The world seemed to grow brighter by the day; winter finally came to an end. Snow still decorated the landscape, yet it wasn't enough to deter us. A harvest was waiting for everyone at the end of the year, bringing only more joy and enthusiasm as time went on. Army garrisons began to fall faster than anyone could imagine, lifting our spirits, sending our nightmares to naught.

"Hooray! We've won! Talulah is so powerful!"

Beneath the warm sunshine, above the chilly snow, stood a victorious Draco - me - planting my sword into the ground as my brethren celebrated. Their cheers danced around in my ears as I took in the applause. Another garrison down, with supplies to be reaped and resources to be plundered.

"The Kaiser is here too! The Kaiser's back!"

A dead Ursus soldier fell down from atop a shack. My husband dropped down and kicked the poor fellow onto his back. My Infected soldiers threw their hats in the air and roared in happiness. I had to whip them back into business with a few tongue lashings.

"Time to get all the supplies we need. Grab the communication terminals, the weapons and the vehicles. Runner, go alert Patriot back in the abandoned city, we're going back with lots of supplies."

"Understood."

Everyone started mobilizing at a fast pace. Thankfully, no one was injured during our quick fight with the army. Now we have a surplus of resources with us that can last for at least four months. Kaiser Rye pulled a bullet out of his wrist - seemingly with ease - and approached me with determined eyes.

"Now that we're almost done here."

"No - not now!"

My hands fumbled against his chest. He planted a kiss on my neck while the other Infected were watching. My body started to feel uncomfortably warm, everyone else bore shocked expressions. Many of our soldiers turned around and faked a few coughs. One of them couldn't contain themselves and started downright cackling. Kaiser Rye turned around with a smile.

"Shall we get going?"

With shame building up in my chest, I sent one swift swipe and struck him in the face - that was enough to silence everyone's laughs.

---
Later that Day...
---

"Ahh... ow..."

Kaiser Rye laid on his back with his head against a crate. A large burn was visible on his face that extended from the bottom of his chin, across his lips, over his eyes to his forehead. Haley dabbed a warm cloth over his eyes as she nonchalantly poked his head.

"So... do we have any casualties?" The Sankta asked.

"Me..." My husband answered.

"Not you!"

"None so far."

"Good. And also, what did you do?"

"I kissed Talulah... and she slapped me," He tried to use his hands and slowly started healing his wounds.

"Ooh, now I want to hear the full story."

"It was quick, so no story."

I sat down with Marzanna in my arms, patting her back as she spouted out strange words that I couldn't understand. She was now five months old, but her body was smaller than a typical baby. Two horns sprouted out through her head of black and silvery-white hair, with two secondary horns growing from them. It had a charming silver color. Her tail looked like thread that ended in a spiky tip.