Chapter 33

"There!" Bruce called, pointing above us.

We all looked up and there was a ladder leading up to, hopefully, the streets of Manhattan. I ran up to it, putting one foot on the first step, but Tony's voice stopped me.

"Wait-" He said. "Are you sure we should go up there? Maybe it's a trap, or-"

"Tony," Steve said. "We have no choice. People are dying up there, we need to get up there and stop the war."

"Yeah, okay." He didn't sound so sure.

I climbed up first and I found a manhole cover. I struggled to pick it up but eventually I did. The second I put my head through the hole, I quickly ducked; a car was thrown over me and would've took my head off. After I heard a crash, I picked my head up again and climbed up onto the streets.

And what I saw shocked me and I almost fainted. Buildings, which were just rebuilt because of the first war, were already blowing up and crashing down on people. Women with their babies in hand, fathers with their children's hands in theirs were running for dear life, screaming. It was chaos. The Skrull we interrogated was right. There were billions, or more, of Skrulls with their alien technology guns in hands, killing people on the spot.

But that wasn't the worst part. The Skrulls' guns, seemed to not just kill people, but disintegrate them. A flash of yellow, and bam! They were pulverized to ashes. I saw a family of four running past us. The woman held her husband's hand and the little boy was in his older sister's arms. A Skrull walked in front of them and with a blast of his gun, they were gone.

I gasped. "Oh my God."

I turned to my teammates and they all had shocked and horrified expressions on their faces. "We need to help these people." I said. "They're . . . disintegrating. How is that possible?"

"It's possible." Bruce said. "I've just never seen it with my own eyes before."

"Forget the plan." Steve said.

"What plan?" Clint asked. "We had no plan. Because the Skrulls just so happened decided to attack now. How wonderful is that?!"

"Steven," Thor said. "We have to assist the humans. Now."

He nodded. "Split up. Just fight. This isn't like the Chitauri, where they just kept on coming. There is a limit on Skrulls here, and if we fight fast enough, without disintegrating, we could finish them."

"That," Natasha said. "Is the most stupidest and worst plan I have ever heard of. And you're Captain America."

"Any better ideas?" Steve asked frustrated. "Just go, now! If you have any idea how to beat them, call. Good luck."

And with that, we all split up.

* * *

I dodged the blast of the Skrull's gun and quickly sighed in relief. So far, I've been good in not getting disintegrating. As far as I know, all of my teammates haven't died yet. I don't know how long we've been fighting, or how many Skrulls we have killed. None of us has a plan yet, and lately, I'm losing hope of actually finding a plan.

I grabbed my pistol and shot the Skrull in the chest and it fell down, dead. I stood there for a moment, heard a "Move!", and then I was pushed. I feel on the concrete ground and turned my head just in time to see a man being disintegrated.

I felt tears prickle. A random man who didn't know me, just saved my life. I'm the one who was supposed to save him. And I stood there like an idiot during a war, hoping to have a two-second break.

And suddenly I was angry. I ran up to the Skrull, who wasn't paying any attention to me, and smacked him with my foot. I heard crack and he fell down. My eyes widened as I realized what I just did. Did I kick that hard that I cracked his . . .