62|ride the lightning

Start from the beginning

"And why would you have to?" Claudia asked.

I stumbled for words for a second, not really expecting the woman to take part.
"Because someone is missing, and our only clue is the word Stiles, which just so happens to be your dad's nickname," I said, facing the Sheriff.

The man sighed, "I understand, but you need to stay away from him. He is a cynical old man who helps no one."

"Sheriff-"

"Riley," Claudia interrupted, standing up from his seat. "I don't know how many different ways you need to be told 'no'."

I felt myself take half a step back as I looked at the woman. Why was she not letting me have a conversation with the man?
"Please," I said to the Sheriff, desperate to get through to the man. "Please, Sheriff."

The Sheriff looked to his wife, before turning back to me. "I'm sorry, but no. You need to stay away from him. I don't want to have to tell you again."

My eyes shifted between them, my fingers curling and uncurling to keep myself calm. "Fine," I mumbled, leaving the office.

Scott was waiting out the front for me, just like he said he would, leaning against his bike. "So, how'd it go."

My jaw was clenched as I looked up at him, frustration rolling off of me in droves.

"Wow, that well?" Scott asked sarcastically.

"Can you just take me home? Please?" I asked quietly.

The Alpha nodded, patting his hand on the seat at the back of his bike. He was about to get on his bike when he got a text. He quickly read it, a sigh escaping him.

"What's wrong?"

Scott's eyes met mine as he put his phone away, "It's Isaac. He just got back from wherever and my house is trashed from Liam's party. I need to get it clean before my mum gets home."

"Can I help?" I asked quickly.

"You want to help me clean my house?" Scott laughed.

I nodded, climbing onto his bike. "Yeah, I could use the distraction."

"Alright," he nodded. "Let's go then."

♧♤♢♡

When we arrived at the McCall house Liam was standing in the living room, which looked like a tornado had passed through. Pointing to the stairs, I stepped away from the two, "I might go and see if Isaac is still here."

Scott nodded as he leaned down to pick up the pieces of a broken vase. Liam was shifting on his feet nervously, watching his Alpha.

I went upstairs and knocked on the door to Isaac's room. There was a moment of silence before I could finally hear footsteps. "What do you want, Riley?" Isaac questioned as soon as he opened the door, letting it swing open as he retreated back into the room.

I couldn't tell from his voice whether he was still pissed, or just exhausted.

"Where have you been?" I asked softly, walking into his room cautiously.

He shrugged as he began to clean up the mess from the party. Apparently, Liam hadn't stopped his lacrosse friends from having free roam of the bedrooms.

I began to walk around the room, collecting the red cups the teenagers had been drinking from. Isaac watched as I began to clean, shoving rubbish into the black bag he was holding in his hand.
"I needed some time alone to think."

Nodding, I walked over and put the cups I had stacked into the bag. "And?"

"And I still hate this," he answered dropping the bag to the ground.