3

3

Ashwin was sitting amidst the director and heroine of his movie. The shooting of the show has started and a young lad was already singing a song. However, Ashwin's mind was somewhere else.

When Shivangi was pulled away from him by her mentee, he decided to follow her. He had to, because he was desperate to know why she looked at him that way.

He was searching for her makeup room, when he heard her voice.

"Naan paada maten." Shivangi's stance was strong and there was something intimidating about her declaration. She was no more the gullible young girl who was easy to convince.

(I won't sing)

"Illa Ashwin irukaru... Nee kanna veesi paadna..." Program in-charge tried once more

(Ashwin is here.... If you sing 'Kanna veesi')

"Adhu mudinju anju varsham aachu anna. Palaya paatu ellam paadna epdi TRP kedaikum. Adhu dan avaroda pudhu movie la irundu Nithya oru song paadrangale."

(It's been five years. It's an old song and so will not fetch TRP. Isn't Nitya singing a song from his new movie?)

"Irundalum nee paadna special-ah..." he drawled.

(Bu if you sing, it will be special)

"Special ah?" she chuckled humourlessly. "Yaaruku?"

(Special? For whom?)

"Illa neenga rendu perum..."

(You both were...)

"Naanga rendu perum onnum illa. Naan enna paadalam nu naan decide panniten. Romba compel panna naan special performance kudukave maaten."

(We both are nothing. I have decided what to sing. If you compel me to change, I will not sing)

"Seri naan director kitta solliren." With that program in-charge left cursing his luck.

(Okay, I will inform the director)

An unexplainable ache settled on Ashwin's heart hearing her disinterested answer. Did she really not remember how special that song is for them?

He has heard it numerous times thinking about her. It is no more the song from a short film that was one of the first milestones in his career. It is their song.

Muzhusa unakkena naan vaazhuren
Pudhusa dhinam dhinam ena paakkuren
Azhutha thozhula naan saanjupen
Alavillaama aasai vekkuren

He knew she meant every word that she sang for him in the show. She indeed looked at him like he was a new person and helped him discover various shades of himself. She stood by him when he felt low in the show as well as off screen during the course of the show.

How come it means nothing to her anymore?

Ashwin wasn't sure if he was angry on her for belittling their special song or angry on him for not making sure she knew how special it was.

"Sir, konjam show la concentrate pannunga." An assistant director whispered in his ears. "Neenga edho yosichitu irukaradhu nalla camera la teriyudhu."

(Sir, please let your attention be here. Camera can see that you are lost miles away)

How can Ashwin concentrate on the show, when she sat only few feet away completely unaffected by his presence behaving as if they hadn't known each other or shared anything magical?