~FOURTY FIVE~

This song always hit hard.

~~**~~

Karl Alfred Ivano's POV

"I apologize for my impolite behavior." I stiffly stated out hearing a deep sigh coming from the opposite line."I understand.You are welcome there anytime." I heard Gabriel's gentle voice replying back as I increased the speed of my Bentley continental GT V8 mulliner in the empty midnight road.

After starting my journey towards Gabriel's home,I eventually decided to call Gabriel for informing my unexpected arrival there. Instead, Gabriel informed that him and Bella still needs time to come back home as Bella needs a few days more to recover.

Not having the will to turn back without calming down,I remained firm in my decision to give a visit there."The room at the end of corridor of the apartment belonged to Azaleas."I heard Gabriel humbly adding causing my grip to tighten over the steering wheel.

"Grazie.Parliamo più tardi."( Thanks. We'll talk later)I simply answered disconnecting the call.With my storms roaring inside,I reduced my speed realising that I've reached my destination earlier than usual due to my reckless driving.

Exhaling a loud breath,I parked the car at the corner alley of backside of the cafe and shut off the ignition. Loosing my necktie,I opened the car door and slowly got down as my gaze fixed over the shadow of the building.A street lamp remained glowing beside the pavement as I closed the car door locking it.

Taking slow steps towards the back door of the cafe,I felt my each steps getting heavier as the fragments of past continued to flash before my eyes one by one.

The past of my first meet here with Azaleas in the underground,as a Don.Both of us leaving for our first mission,together.Bading my goodbye with thousand unsaid words to Azaleas as she went for the undercover mission as a regal warrior.

How did so many storms went in our lives at a stretch? How did not for once I felt myself faltering whenever you were there? How did these storms managed to snatch you away from me?

Millions of why's floated through my mind as I finally stand at the end of the stair towards the backdoor of the cafe. Again looking up at the building without moving,I remembered her name for the thousand times.I remembered the meaningful two weeks with her at the hospital. I remembered about our us. I remembered everything like a faraway dream.

How did I ended up being the same cold shell of a person?How did fate again managed to be the most cruel with me?With her?How?

"I'm sorry Azaleas."I whispered out in a heavy tone feeling my knee almost buckle under my heavy thoughts."I'm sorry for not saving you.I'm sorry for failing you.I'm sorry for failing us." I whispered out in the cold and silent night feeling my lungs almost suffocate me in agony.

I wish I could do something more than saying sorry.

"No Karl." I heard a small feminine voice whisper out causing me to immediately look around with alarm.  "Don't say sorry." The same voice again whispered out as my frantic gaze watched a shadow emerging out from my right.With bated breath, I watched as a battered figure finally stand a distance away from my defeated figure as the street lamp finally exposed the shadowed figure.

A familiar figure which is haunting my mind.

My heartbeat stilled momentarily as the figure stand infront of me like a mirage.Like a lost traveller reaching his destination.Like a lost soul finally finding his soulmate.

Not believing my eyes, I rubbed my fist over my eyes harshly to make the hallucination I was seeing disappear.

This can't be.She can't be.She can't be Azaleas. My mirage needs to vanish. She can't appear in my thoughts looking that beaten and battered. That's not how I want her to envision. That's not what she deserves.