Chapter Twenty One

Blank stairs. He's looking at me in fear, and I return a look of anger. Nathan just looks shocked. I enter the room and slam the door shut. Chris gets up and opens the window, while Nathan takes the smoking pipe and places It on the desk. I enter the closet and get changed into shorts and a tank top. I put my real running shoes on and put a sweat band around my head.
Chris and Nathan stare at me. I exit the closet and check myself in the mirror. I turn and face the boys. I walk up to Chris, and I stop just a few feet from him.
"I want you packed and gone by the time I get back from my run." I say blankly.
He just stares down at me. I can tell he's hurt by the way he reacted. I, just way to angry to think about that. I walk towards the door and open it. I beam at Chris and slam the door shut. I run down the hall and too the elevator.
I exit the dorm building and start to jog. I'm tired, and weak mentally. I can't deal with him anymore. It's like he doesn't think sometimes. I feel tears start to fall down my face. I just want him away from me. I need some serious me time. This was the last time.
"Hailey!" Someone shouts. I turn and Nathan is following me.
"Leave me alone Nathan."
"Hailey please don't to that to him."
"Nathan leave me alone."
"Hailey just stop."
I pick up my pace, I want to get away from him as fast as I can. But the faster I go, Nathan pick up his speed too. Eventually I'm sprinting. I try to run as fast as I can to escape him. But he's still to fast. He grabs ahold of my hand.
"Hailey." He says as we slow down.
"What!"
"Why did you do that to him?"
"Because, I don't want to be apart of this anymore."
"What do you mean."
"That was the third strike. I'm done with him."
"Hailey. He's fucked up. He needs to vent. Please be his girl and talk to him."
"No."
"Hailey."
"I can't."
"Why not?"
"Because I don't wanna be involved with the other side of Christian Collins."
"Hailey I swear to god he loves to."
"Obviously he loves drugs more."
"Hey!"
"Bye Nathan."
"You just don't want to open up do you?"
I turn. I give him a blank stare. "What do I have to open up to."
"You have to open up to him about you. What you're afraid of. Tell him."
"I am not afraid of anything."
"Is it getting hurt?"
I stare.
"It is isn't it." He says.
"So."
"So by getting rid of him, you're still gonna end up hurt."
"Why?"
"Because you love him."
He's right. What am I doing. I have to stop Chris from leaving. I start to run back to my dorm. I start to run back, and it isn't long before I realize I've been gone for fifteen minutes, and it's going to take me at least six to get back to campus. He's probably gone by now, but I gotta keep hope. I run down the busy roads. Back toward Harvard campus.
I'm dodging cars and out running crossing sides. I need to get back to campus. I see it it's not to far from me. I push for it. I reach the campus and stop to take a few short breaths. I get on the run again. Into the dorm building and into the elevator. I jump out and run toward the dorm. I try to open but it's locked. I quickly unlock if and push the door open.
"Chris I'm..... Sorry."
He's gone. His side of the dresser is empty and open. His stuff is all off the desk. His colognes are all gone. I enter the dorm and shut it. His side of the closet is empty. I sink down to the floor next to my bed. I feel sick to my stomach. My breaths are gathering firm. I feel my world closing in. I feel the tears start to flow down my face.
Then something shiny catches the side of my eye. I look up and there's a little gift box on the corner of the desk next to the bed. I pick myself up and wipe away my run away tears. It's a little jewelry box and attached to it is a note. I open it.
"Hailey,
I'm sorry that things ended like this, and I'm sorry for fucking up again. You don't know how much you mean to me. I guess this is goodbye, I'll be heading back home. I hope we can talk sometime soon. Just remember I love you. Happy one month baby."
I tear up. My place the not on the dresser and pick up the box. I open it and inside is a gold necklace with a diamond centerpiece charm. It's beautiful. I place the necklace on the dresser and grab the note. I hug it close to me and fall on the bed. What have I done. The other side to me was Chris, and I blew it. I cling that note closer to my chest and sob. I never thought this would hurt that bad.