Chapter Six

A few weeks have passed since the last time I've talked to Chris. Tomorrow I leave for Harvard so today I'll just go out and pick up the last few things I need before I leave. I'm on my way to the mall. I park and head into the beauty salon to groom up a bit. It feels good to get my hair and nails done.
My next stop is the book store. The other day I got a list of books I needed to purchase before I go to Harvard. I'm looking for this one book and with my luck there's one more copy on the top shelf. I start to climb the shelves to reach it. I grab the book without falling thank god, and head back down. I loose foot placement and fall back into someone's grasp. I look up to see who up caught me and it's Chris.
He's gotten a hair cut since the last time I've seen him, his smiles whiter than ever, and his eyes are a lighter and brighter shade of green. I'm in a state of shock. I blink a few times just to clarify I'm not dreaming.
"Hey." He smiles.
"Hi." I say still in a state of shock.
I pick up the pile of books and make my way over to the cashier. Chris just stands there and looks at me. My heart is racing. Obviously I still have feeling for this kid, but I only know I'm only going to get hurt again. I just keep walking, fight ping back the urge to turn around, and run over to him and kiss his soft lips. I pay for my books and leave the store.
"Hailey."
I turn to face Chris. He grabs a hold of me and kisses me by surprise. I can't help but to kiss him back. Ugh I've really missed him. Just the reminder of his kisses was enough to make me tear up. He releases me and wipes a falling tear off my cheek.
"I've missed you so much. I've felt so low. I've been so out of it because I lost you." He says.
"Chris... I..."
"I'm so excited to be able to catch up again." He cuts me off.
"Chris wait..."
"I've stopped smoking for you Hail. I really didn't mean to hurt you."
"Chris I'm leaving for Harvard tomorrow!" I grab his attention.
He just looks at me with a terrified blank expression. I'm on the verge of tears. I don't want to lose him, but I don't want to get hurt again. He just turns and walks away. And I stand there in shock. I pick up the bag of books and make my way to my car with watery eyes. I just feel sick and sad. I get a text from Chris.
"Hey, glad I got to see you. I hope all goes well at Harvard."
This text breaks me. He doesn't want me to go, and now I don't want to go. I just want to star gaze with this kid. I want to have make our sessions like our first. I drive home bummed out. I walk up to my room, and fall onto my bed. I just sit there staining at the ceiling for about twenty minutes before I pass out.
A few hours later I'm awoken by the sound of my mothers voice.
"Hailey! Company!"
Who would be here to see me? I get up and fix my hair, then I walk down to the kitchen. I turn the corner to see my mom talking to someone sitting at the counter. I walk around the corner into the kitchen and see Chris sitting at my kitchen counter. I'm shocked, and angry.
"Hey, what are you doing here?" I ask as I make my way over to the counter.
"He was just talking to me." My mom says.
"I wanted to see you before you left for Harvard tomorrow." Chris says
"Maybe you two can talk about it upstairs." My mom says as she nods her to jester kids are listening.
I turn around and start walking to the stairs, Chris follows me like a lost puppy. I'm angry and upset at the same time. These mixed emotions just need to stop. Chris is keeping his distance from me, he should, I'm so angry that he would come here and not tell me. I walk into my room and shut my door behind Chris. I walk over to the bed and sit. I just stare at Chris, waiting for him to speak.
"I needed to see you before you left." He says.
"Chris, you're making this harder than it needs to be."
"What's making it harder. The fact that I'm here trying to talk to you, or the fact that you have have feelings for me."
How does he know that's how I feel. I need to tell him.
"Chris, you said it yourself. You don't want to hurt me. That means you doubt that even you can make it work!"
"I never thought it wouldn't work. I just have a bad history."
"So what would make our relationship different? Obviously your doubting it if you have had rough relationships in the past."
"Because, the chemistry is standing here right now! None of my other relationships have the feeling and connection we have. And I know you feel it. You even said it! When I was fighting the urge to kiss you, you were too."
He's right. The fact that he feels what I'm feeling is enough to prove there's a chance this can work. But I'm leaving for Harvard tomorrow, and he uses drugs. I just don't want to get involved.
"Even if it does work, I leave for Harvard tomorrow, and you use drugs. I just don't want to get caught up in something I can't keep up with."
"Hailey, I stopped using for you, and we can make the long distance work."
"How."
He just pauses and looks at me. He's pacing, and ik get up and sit him on the bed.
"Chris. I don't want to be in a relationship that's miles apart."
"Maybe I don't have to be miles apart."
I look at him and I know exactly what he's thinking. I turn around and just can't look at him. These mixed emotions suddenly turn for the better. I feel happy again, like I've been pulled out of the dark abyss and been introduced to light again. It's welcoming with open arms, there's a chance this may work. I turn to look at him and pounce him.
I attack his lips and he shifts so he's over top of me holding my arms down as he maneuvers his elegance in my mouth. My world is looking brighter and brighter. He let's go and looks at me.
"I never want to leave you Hailey."