Part 3: Chapter 9

Start from the beginning

"I'm not sure any would be willing to come," I told her.

She shrugged. "Allow them to make their choice, of course. You can tell them general things if you trust them to keep their mouths shut, and anything that's not sensitive if they agree to come."

Maybe I would try. I didn't want Braydon and his family or Hadron to fall into the council vampires' clutches. I had already lost enough people to the bloodsuckers, if I could avoid losing more, it could be worth the attempt.

* * * * *

Vienne went her own way, saying something about more meetings and I went through my usual daily tasks. At some point during the day, news came to me that there was going to be a gathering after sunset in which she would talk to everyone at New Haven, and I was also informed about a smaller meeting for select people, of which I was apparently one.

I was curious, but too busy to really think about what exactly it might be about, between my training, working with the youth, and completing Connor's instructions. I spotted her only once between the time she woke and supper and I still could not fail to notice that she had the same slightly wan pallor that she had the last time she spent her days compelling humans to ignore the orders of other vampires.

By the time I was gathered outside in the setting sun with the other residents of New Haven and she strode out, absorbing the attention being sent her way, she was looking somewhat restored and back to her usual self. Unlike at her home, New Haven had a platform that served as a stage, and she wasted no time in making her way up and onto it with sure steps and a cocky smile. It was pretty obvious she adored the setup.

She spoke quietly with Connor and a couple of other people who were waiting for her, and then she turned to the crowd, looking out at her audience as she spoke. "I imagine that you all have a pretty good idea of why I might have called you here this evening."

"While we had certainly planned to prepare much longer, to amass resources the likes of which the council could never counter, unfortunately through a series of decisions and miscalculations, our plans are being brought forward. While the council is not yet entirely aware of what we are planning and while they have no clue as to the extent of our enterprises, even those fools can't miss the obvious forever, so we intend to pre-emptively attack fast and hard to take out threats before they materialize.

"I know it might not feel like it to you, here and now, but we hold the advantage. None of our enemies know anything, yet, and they don't have the resources we've amassed. You who stand here with me are only the latest generation who are working with me to return the control of our world to the hands of humans. Some of you are new to this and some of your families have been working with me since before your great-grandparent's generation. Vampires are solitary predators by nature, but you humans can work together and overcome.

"I fully believe we can bring the council to its knees." Vienne bared her teeth in a smile full of vindictive pleasure at the thought.

"Still, you won't be forced to fight, humans. I'm giving you a choice, this time. You are free to stay and work with myself and everyone, or you are free to leave and flee as far as you can to try to avoid the coming wrath of the pro-council vampires once they finally figure out what I've been doing.

"Neither option is easy, and both come with their own risks, and it's up to you to decide, this time. If you want freedom, it must be worked for and fought for, it must be ripped from the cold dead fingers of your oppressors, but I'm of the mind it is worth it and you might find you agree."

Her eyes swept the crowd and she wore a confident smirk, before she descended from the stage. Connor took her place and began speaking his turn, explaining that there would be a process for leaving in order to ensure security, and he went on to speak further of their plans.