THE MISSING YOU

"Mama."

Leone patted Sierra who sat up, "Joyeux anniversaire, mon amour [happy birthday, my love]."

The time had come. Leone was one.

The boy touched his hair. A lot was missing. Why did his mom scalp him?

His neck was cold without his blonde locks. Also, how would Dona recognize him now? The boy thought as he patted his crown.

Leone wasn't happy with his mom. Lately, she let Black Beard come every day, and she even gave him the metal things that opened the doors.

Also, there were the meals she didn't eat and kept climbing on this cold metal square in the bathroom.

What was wrong with her?

Leone had to find a way to tell Dona about the dark goings-on in the household.

The boy could not imagine Sierra was cautious not to put on weight before the wedding.

Sierra carried Leone to the kitchen and prepared his breakfast.

Something was fishy. She smiled too much and gave too many kisses to the boy's liking.

Sierra scheduled his birthday for two. Jacob would pick Leone up at 1:30 PM to take him to the park. The operation was to give Sierra time to set up the decorations.

Even though Sierra knew the child would probably forget, she wished to surprise Leone. Jonas gave no sign of life, and Sierra thought that perhaps he would opt to Leone at two.

Strangely enough, the idea of seeing Jonas didn't stress her. The wedding was less than a fortnight away, and it took up most of her thinking space.

At 1:30 PM, Jacob was right on time like Vincent, who picked up the birthday cake and last groceries. One thing that bothered Sierra was the absence of kids. Doctor Hertz assured her that everything would be fine as long as the people Leone knew were present.

The little boy's behavior progressed. Leone interacted more, and the whole neighborhood knew his laughter. Sierra was startled to hear the doorbell ring as Mrs. Micheals, her neighbor, brought a gift just like the Alaouis who lived on the ground floor made Moroccan pastry for Leone. Bussy also gave Sierra a present on behalf of her staff and her when Sierra came for Leone's haircut. Since the day they found out Leone would stay, their attitude changed. They accepted the boy as Sierra's son.

Leone's world was a colorful one, where notions of ethnicity were blurred, just as for Sierra, who embraced all around her.

Everyone's support gave Sierra strength. When Sierra looked back, she had the impression her life began the day Leone came into her life. Until then, the woman just went with the flow. Never would she have imagined what a tremendous change he would bring. There were difficult times, but everything was worth it, thought Sierra.

There wasn't anything in the last six months the woman wished to erase. On the contrary, the memories were probably the best of her adult life.

Together with Vincent, she began to blow up the balloons and place the various decorations.

Sierra smiled at herself as all the memories from the day she brought Leone home till the moment they woke up that day strutted by. The sleepless nights, the errors that included warming his milk in the microwave all teased her.

"Sierra, what you think?"

"That looks great," Sierra said while looking at the birthday banner the man hung up.

Vincent came down from the ladder, "I think we're good."

"Yes, thank you, Vincent. I'm sure Leone will love it."