𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟕

Aang woke up the next morning with the warm sun beaming down on them. Somehow in the night, they'd huddled together. Even Zuko was sleeping in the garden, his back turned towards the rest of the group. Sokka was squeezed rather awkwardly between him and Toph, his arm somehow long enough to wrap around Katara, who was sleeping peacefully on his left.

He tried to shimmy his way out of his sleeping bag without waking up everyone, but the second he tried, he heard someone shifting. Aang looked to his left, and Katara stirred in her sleep, her eyes fluttering open.

"Morning," Aang whispered.

Katara rubbed her eyes with the heel of her palm, "Good morning."

They silently crept out of the garden, walking to the kitchen. Katara piled her long hair into a bun at the nape of her neck, securing it with a large claw clip that had come out of nowhere.

Aang took a seat on a stool at the counter, "Sorry I woke you up, Katara."

She waved a hand, "It's fine. I like waking up early, anyways." Katara took out a bowl and the cooking spray. "So...what do you want for breakfast?" 

He propped his chin on his palm, "What were you planning on making?"

"It's a special weekend breakfast that I call waffle toast," Katara said. "Do you guys have a waffle maker?"

Aang nodded, and took one out from the cabinet above the fridge, setting it on the counter. He watched behind the counter as Katara took out a bowl and placed all the ingredients on the counter.

Katara first cracked some eggs in a bowl, added a few splashes of heavy whipping cream, half a cup of sugar, and then threw in a few pinches of cinnamon and nutmeg.

She brought the jar of spices up to her nose. Her eyes brightened as her senses soaked up the aroma,"These spices are so fragrant! Where do you get them from?"

Aang chuckled. "They're freshly ground spices from the farmer's market. Can I help?"

Katara nodded, and he grabbed another bowl,watching as Katara added a pinch of each spice in the bowl. She whisked it together and then heated up the waffle maker. Aang mirrored her movements. 

She moved around the kitchen, soaking the bread in the batter and then putting it inside the waffle maker. 

"Katara, you got something right there," Aang said, pointing to his cheek. 

"Here?" Katara said, burshing her cheek, added even more flour on herself. 

"No-" he sighed, grabbing a napking and wiping the bit of flour on her cheek. "There."

A faint blush creeped on her cheeks, and she quickly turned away, opening the fridge to see a large variety of fruits.

She tapped her foot, "Mango...or papaya?" Katara spent a few moments thinking before she settled on papaya. She placed the fruit on a cutting board and turned around to get a knife.

When she turned around, Aang was leaning against the edge of the counter. "So...papaya?"

Katara proceeded to expertly peel the papaya and cut them into cubes, "Mmhmm! Good source of vitamin C."

Aang pouted, sliding back in his seat.

Minutes later, the house was filled with the warm scent of spices. There were 5 plates with a large stack of waffle toast.

Sokka walked inside the kitchen, rubbing his eye, "Why does it smell like a bakery in here?" He blinked several times, "WAFFLES!"

The rest of the group walked in, also in a sleepy daze.