𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟓

Sokka slid his hands inside his pockets, walking down the hallway with Toph. He threw his head over his shoulder, noting Jet eyeing his sister.

"He seems kind of suspicious to me," Toph said, interrupting his thoughts.

Sokka turned away from them, "What do you mean?"

"I mean, even though I can't see his body language, his voice can tell me a lot about his intentions. We should be careful of what Jet says."

"You've got a point. What were they doing spying on Azula, though?"

"I have no idea."

They continued walking in silence, but it wasn't the sort of awkward silence, it was the sort of comfortable silence where you were just enjoying each other's company.

"Hey Toph, could I ask you something?"

"Yeah what is it?"

"Do you want to...go out this weekend? "

"I wish I could, but I've got a chess competition then."

"Oh."

"But if you are feeling rebellious, why not go out right now?" she offered.

Sokka crossed his arms, "Okay, but where would we go?"

Her mouth quirked to the side, "I might have an idea."

Meanwhile...

Aang, Katara, and Suki, were sitting at their usual table during lunch.

"Do you know where Toph and Sokka are?" Katara asked, while eating her crab puffs.

Suki shook her head.

Aang shook his head as well, and was about to start on dessert when a tall figure made their way to their table.

"So it is true, then," she said.

Azula.

"What is?" Aang asked.

"That you're running for class president, of course!"

"Yeah, I am."

Azula bent down, slamming her palms on the table. They flinched.

"I just want to make it clear that I'm not planning on losing to a 16 year old vegan," she said in a low voice.

"Well I don't plan on losing to an overconfident 17 year old, either," Aang smoothly replied back, and then continued eating his egg custard tarts.

Azula narrowed her eyes, and then turned around. They heard her walking over to her brother's table.

"We need to talk, Zuzu."

"Don't call me that, Azula!"

"Whatever. I'm waiting outside."

Zuko followed his sister out of the cafeteria.

Katara sighed, "What are we going to do about them? Azula means business, and she'll do whatever it takes to be class president."

"Even if it means playing dirty," Suki added.

"Well, I don't intend on playing dirty. Someone needs to show her that you don't have to play dirty in order to win sometimes," Aang said.

─✧─

"Of all the places, the zoo?" Sokka said.

"You can't go wrong with a zoo, now c'mon, Sokka!" Toph grabbed his hand and pulled him through the back entrance.

"We're sneaking in?"

"No, we're going to waltz right in and see the penguins." At Sokka's confused expression, Toph said, "Duh we're sneaking in! It's more fun that way."

"Oookay."

They make it in, and go to the 'employees only' area. Toph finds some uniforms and tosses them to Sokka, shoving him behind a curtain.

"You seem to have this whole thing planned out," Sokka said, walking out from behind the curtain wearing way too big zoo keeper uniform. 

"You're right, I did have it all planned out. 2 minutes ago."

"You're amazing, Toph."

"I know. Now let's go."

They casually walk out of the employee area. A few people eye them, but who wouldn't? They were two suspicious acting teenagers wearing oversized uniforms.

Sokka casually whistled as they walked around the zoo.

"All the animals are so far away," he complained, pressing his face to the glass trying to get a better view of the badgermoles.

"That sucks. I can't even see them."

Sokka turned away from the badgermoles and stared at Toph for a moment.

"Hey Toph? I might have an idea. Stay here, okay?"

"I'm not going anywhere, Snoozles."

He ran to the storage area, looking for badgermole food. When he couldn't find them, he walked over to a friendly-looking employee.

After asking around, he finally found some wolfbats. Did badgermoles eat wolfbats? Guess we'll have to find out.

Sokka ran back, where Toph, surprisingly, was still standing there.

"There you are! I was starting to get worried," Toph said when he approached.

"Aww, did you miss me?" Sokka playfully asked while adjusting his grip on the bucket. Gosh, why were wolfbats so heavy?

"You wish. I thought I got stood up," she huffed.

"You know I would never do that, Toph."

They walked to the back door that led to the badgermoles' habitat.

"It's locked, buddy."

"I know," Sokka said, pulling a pin from Toph's hair and inserting it into the lock. After toying with the lock for a few seconds, the lock clicked, and the door swung open.

"I didn't know you could pick locks."

"I have years of experience." He said, "...And getting caught by Katara."

They walked inside the badgermole habitat, acting casual.

Sokka opened the bucket, and poured all of its contents on the food trays. The badgermoles scurried over, sniffing the food before devouring it.

Toph placed a hand on them, ruffling their furs. The animal licked the side of her face in return.

"Awww!" Toph gushed.

Sokka smiled as he saw Toph interacting with the badgermoles. It was an adorable sight, seeing her laugh and giggle.

This lasted only for a few minutes.

"Hey! What are you two doing?" someone yelled through the glass.

Toph stood up, "Looks like we got caught."

"Right. Let's get out of here," Sokka said, grabbing Toph's wrist. "Stay close and follow me, okay?"

"It's not like I have a choice."

A few people stared at them as Toph and Sokka ran past, with worried glances at the few employees running after them.

Sokka made several random turns to lose the people running after them, and then made a sharp turn to the left, ducking inside the employees only area.

Toph collapsed against the wall, catching her breath, "That...was... amazing!"

Sokka smiled, "It was."

They changed back into their normal clothes, and walked out of the zoo like a normal couple, holding hands. 

─✧─

Writing this chapter in my bio class is a mood. 

But honestly, since when do I not write chapters in the middle of class?