Ch. 9

Ears ringing. Vision blurred. Everything sounded muffled. Frederic heard someone coughing. He squinted through a busted window and saw a couple of his security team on the ground outside, both dead with a single hole in the head. Their stares were petrified in shock.

His body ached as he crawled through the opposite window. Someone roughly grabbed him and pulled him to his feet.

(This is what they're wearing, colored all black with only a spot of turquoise on the helmet's center, and smaller shoulder pauldrons)

??: What did I say? He took the bait hook, line, and sinker. And now, we have King Frederic right where we want him.

Frederic was surrounded by four other soldiers, all wearing white camouflage and body armor to hide in the snow, and armed just as ready.

??: Pleased to meet you, Your Majesty. Call us The Children of Zhan.

??: Für der ruhm von Zhan!

Frederic: Von Zhan? Who are you!?

??: Don't worry about that, Frederic. It won't matter for long.

Despite being at least a head shorter than him, the armored stranger picked up Frederic with ease.

Frederic: What do you want from me?

The leader unzipped Frederic's coat and fished out a set of keys and cards from an inside pocket.

??: Just these. Oh, and your body on the fire.

They carried a struggling Frederic towards the massive fireball from their tanker truck bomb.

There was movement from the overturned limo. It was Eugene, who just came to from being knocked out by the blast, crawling through the window.

Eugene: Let....L-Let him go!

??: You know? That's a very poor choice of words.

The stranger then tossed the king towards the fire. Frederic screwed his eyes shut and braced for the searing pain. Instead, he felt hard pavement on his back.

Rapunzel: Dad!

Arianna: Frederic!

Frederic opened his eyes and found himself back inside the castle's ballroom with Rapunzel and his wife wrapped tightly him. He looked up and saw his daughter's date walking through a giant sparking circle. On the other side, Y/N found Eugene subdued with a rifle barrel pointed at his back.

??: Well, well. What do we have here?

Y/N: I could ask you all the same thing. Really, an assassination on Christmas Eve? Not very holly jolly.

The portal behind him closed. The King was safe. He adjusted his ring and unbuttoned his coat to free up some movement for the coming fight.

??: Look at this guy, playing Sorcerer Supreme.