Ch. 8

??: Are you sure this will work?

??: Of course. They're tripping the sensors as planned. If that doesn't lure him out, nothing will.

??: Zip it! Get those set, now!

??: Für der ruhm von Zhan!

_______________

So far, the party was, in Y/N's opinion, pretty boring. He wasn't sure what to make of a royal ball. But with this much alcohol, he thought something would happen: off-pitch singing, atrocious dancing, someone losing a shoe, anything.

Y/N: I've got to hand it to the royal court. They can hold their own.

Rapunzel nodded with a nervous chuckle, having witnessed a couple times a judge went on a tirade after imbibing too much. She looked around the crowd, trying to find someone.

Y/N: You okay, Blondie?

Rapunzel: Has anyone seen Ella? I know I sent an invite to her family.

Belle: That's the thing, Rapunzel. Are you sure she was brought along? You know how the Tremaines are.

??: Good evening, Your Highness. Girls, just like we practiced.

An older, regal looking woman approached the group with a knob-head cane in her hand and three other girls that followed in stride

An older, regal looking woman approached the group with a knob-head cane in her hand and three other girls that followed in stride. Two of them were, to put it bluntly, ugly. Their outfits were worn with pride, despite how gaudy they looked. The third seemed fairer than the other two, despite wearing a ragged maid outfit.

??: Apologies for our near tardiness. Our, uh, maid was a handful coming here.

??: Yeah, taking up the rear, being all mopey!

Rapunzel: That's, uh, okay, Lady Tremaine. I'm just glad everyone could come....

Y/N noticed the maid tried to avoid his line of sight. The white bonnet hood did enough to hide her face, something she was thankful for.

Tremaine: May I ask, where are the king and queen? I wish to have a word with them.

Belle: Well, right now, the queen's entertaining guests.

Rapunzel: Dad....I don't know where he is.

Anna: I saw King Frederic leave a couple minutes ago. Think he was stepping away from the crowd.

Tremaine: Then we shall take our leave to find-

Y/N: Ella?

The older lady's smile seemed to falter when he said that name.

Tremaine: Beg pardon, sir?

Y/N could sense the venom in the older woman's tone. Something in the way she looked at him....