Chapter Twenty-Eight

The room dwarfed her.

Morana craned her head upward, gawking at the streamers and poms and ribbons that dangled from the beams. The guards pulled open the massive glass doors, so heavy it took two to move each one. Her lips parted, her eyes trailing up the crimson walls to the domed glass ceiling above where the orange evening clouds drifted on. The guards barked warnings at the attendees, returning her attention to the incredible space before her. There were hundreds of fae, all dressed in their finest silks and jewelry, lined up to catch a peek of the princess.

She feared she may vomit all over Ferryn's ceremonial white gown. The princess must have sensed it, offering her arm to Morana. She didn't hesitate, slipping her hand through the pit of her elbow. "Are you okay?"

Morana swallowed, focusing on her slight steps, so she wouldn't roll an ankle in her heels. If she had spent some of her time learning how to walk in them, instead of swinging around a sword, perhaps she would have more confidence. Ferryn's ten-minute crash course from earlier didn't cut it. "I'm just taking it all in."

"It's magnificent, isn't it?" Ferryn looked out onto the crowd, waving to her kingdom.

Morana swallowed again. "Something like that."

The princess gave her a sidelong look, laying her pampered hand over her forearm. "Just stay close to me and you'll be fine."

She gladly obliged and allowed the heir to sweep her deeper into the room. She tried her best to smile, to seem pleasant, even as her heart staggered in her chest. She had never seen so many fae in one place. All of them turned to watch her. It was one thing to ride through the open streets of the market while on horseback and hidden beneath a cloak. It was completely different crammed into one room with just a few spells keeping her alive. Ferryn had spritzed her with an extra dose of the concealing perfume before they left, but that didn't stop the contents of Morana's stomach from curdling every time she met the eyes of a stranger. It was the most attention she'd ever received.

The gentle pulse of the iron bracelet reminded her she was safe from magick, at least. She had barely kept the thing hidden from the princess' servants while they dressed her, and now the lace along her arm concealed it. She kept that hand in front of her. She wouldn't risk bumping into a fae with the iron and send them into hysterics.

Princess Ferryn waved and blew kisses to her people, absolutely relishing in the attention. Morana, however, was just thankful for the corset that forced her back straight. Otherwise, she would have shrunk back into the corridor alcoves by now. Despite that fear, there was a part of her that envied the love and admiration given to the princess.

Morana tore her eyes away. She would never know what that felt like—to have an entire nation of people support her and gaze upon her like she was a goddess reincarnated. She only faced hatred in her life. A few courtiers' eyes lingered on her for longer than what was necessary, reminding her that these fae were watching her, too. She returned their smiles, pushing those thoughts deep down into the dark crevasses of her mind where they had emerged.

At least the dress was beautiful. Hell, the gown was beyond gorgeous, tailored with Eifari's most exorbitant silks and chiffon and genuine diamonds. Ferryn told her all about the gown as she laced the back. She had audibly gasped when the princess finally revealed the piece of art to her. Morana's fingers grazed the smooth skirt and the tiny diamonds hand-sewn into it. The damn thing must have taken the entire month to create. There was so much detail in every stitch, from the jewels along the bodice and skirt to the golden stitching within the black lace top.

She fought the urge to scratch at the lace that clung to her neck and arms. Never had she donned such tight clothing. And never had she exposed so much of her chest for so many eyes. It took all of her strength not to hide the deep line her breasts formed, pushed so firmly together by the corset.