Chapter 32 ~ Convincing

Start from the beginning

I collected firewood and took out some food while Zuko set up the tent. Since we didn't want to bring too many things, we settled for just one tent.

With a gust of flames from my hand, I lit the campfire. Zuko and I sat around it, eating some bread and butter.

"So what do we do now?"

"The idea was that I go see them, apologize for my actions and join them."

I stared at him, unsure if he was joking or not. Since there was no smile on his face, I had to assume he was serious. "I'm sorry, but that's not going to work."

"Why not?"

"They're suspicious of you. You could apologize and beg all you want, but they'll never let you in."

"So what should I do?"

I thought about it for a second. "They need someone to teach Aang firebending. You can use that to your advantage."

"That's a good idea. Let me try."

"What?"

"I'll just practice what I'm going to say. You can tell me if it's good."

"Ok then. Go on."

A little frog hopped right next to me, as if excited to hear Zuko's speech.

Zuko scratched his head awkwardy. "Hello... Zuko here, but I guess you probably already know me, sort of. Uhhh ... so, the thing is I have a lot of firebending experience, and I'm considered to be pretty good at it. Well, you've seen me, you know, when I was attacking you. Uhhh ... yeah, I guess I should apologize for that. But anyway, I'm good now. I mean, I thought I was good before, but I realize I was bad, but anyway, I think it's time I joined your group and taught the Avatar firebending."

I looked at him, expecting more.

"Well, what's your answer?" He snapped. The frog next to me croaked and jumped away.

"Yeah... That's what I'd say, too." Zuko said, looking defeated.

"Hey, it's ok. We'll figure this out."

Zuko was obviously frustrated. "How am I supposed to convince these people that I'm on their side?"

"Well... You could start by leaving out all the negative parts, like when you chased them down. Try to concentrate on the more positive aspects."

"Alright."

"And don't lose your cool. They might be reluctant to accept you at first. That's normal." I put a comforting arm around his shoulders. "But don't forget, you'll have me with you. We can do this together. I know it."

He smiled, leaning into my touch. "Thanks"

We stayed like that for a few minutes before Zuko stood up with newfound confidence.

"Let's go. We can do this." He said, extending his arm to help me up, which I accepted.

Red eyes met red eyes as we grinned at each other.

"We can do this." I repeated.

And so, we set off to the Western Air Temple.

We made our way to where Aang, Katara, Sokka and Topg were all together, talking. The others weren't there.

"...the all-day echo chamber!" Aang said excitedly.

"I think that will have to wait." Said Toph, nodding her head in our direction.

The Gaang looked at us with confused and frustrated expressions.

Zuko talked first, which was a bad idea. "Hello... Zuko here."