Our Final Parting

All your life you had experienced many things. Loss, hope, love, despair and the sweet, sweet satisfaction of revenge. You went to school with your enemy and slowly grew close, neither knowing each other's true identities. But even if you did, would it have gotten in the way of your love?

Perhaps.

Maybe it already did, it's just ...

you never knew.

But if you had told each other, perhaps you wouldn't have killed his brother.

Perhaps then you would get your happy ending...

But the moment you began lying to him,

Lying to yourself

Lying to your friends

About who you really were

You had lost it all.

And now here you lay, in the middle of a dusty battlefield. You friends caught in the middle of a bloody fight between the two ducal houses of the empire. Murdered by heartless, cold steel blades that ripped through their once warm beating hearts. Leaving nothing but a still and lifeless corpse.

It was your secret that caused this.

It was your mistake that caused your friends to get caught in this whole violent mess.

You were so caught up in your lies and revenge that you hadn't noticed how your lover, who was also your family's enemy, still came back to save you in the middle of the battlefield even though he knew who you were.

But it's too late to regret everything now.

Looking up from underneath the ground he smiled softly at you. His dark hair laced with bits of dust and blood but still gleaming in the early morning sunrise.

"Don't cry Adeline" he whispered, reaching up to wipe your tears even though his shoulder was injured and gushing out pools of blood.

You hadn't even realized that you were crying. The feeling was so foreign because you had sworn to never shed a tear in your life after your parents had died. Clutching his warm hand, you look straight into his golden eyes.

"How could you..." you started saying, unable to continue. He smiled as if he understood what you meant. For a moment there, it seemed like the world had stopped as you listened to him.

"All those years ago, I wish we could have made better use of them.

But it looks like I'll have to go before you do" he finally managed to say, coughing out blood soon after. The sound echoed in your memory, etching deep into your soul.

"All this... it's my fault."

"Don't say that Adeline.

You'll make me sad.

Don't cry.

It's fine.

I'm thankful that at least I had this chance to say goodbye to you.

One

Final

Goodbye."

"Don't .. leave... hic hic hic" you couldn't manage to finish sending him off when the light in his glowing eyes started to fade.

Little by little.

Left alone in the battlefield you rested your head on his corpse.

That day, the morning sun rose onto a crimson battlefield where a criminal assassin named Adeline lay with a knife in her heart, laying down aside one of the kingdom's greatest knights, smiling as she eagerly joined him in their next life.