Chapter 14 - Caleb and Sera

Start from the beginning

She just nods.

--------------------------------------

Later on, after a few hours of listening to Caleb talk and having Sera nod once in a while--with a one or two close calls of having Jace burst into the library, looking for me, and having Caleb and Sera hide me behind pillows and bookshelves.

They had told me a lot, such as how long they’ve been agents here; Caleb and Sera are one of the high-ranked spy agents. Jace and Vanessa were together once, but after a few days, Jace broke up with her. They are both also high-ranked spies.

Caleb and Sera explained what spies do--look for information and keep people safe; especially from the SSA. They told me that the SSA is dangerous--they kill people for stupid and/or no reasons at all, but I didn’t believe them. I just stayed silent.

Sera showed me a few fiction stories I might like to read that’s about assassins. “If you’re bored,” she had said.

The three of us walked out of the library together.

“Oh--6:30. Let’s go to the cafeteria for dinner,” Caleb suddenly exclaimed. There was no one in the hallway, so we made our way down the many floors and into the cafeteria. Suddenly all eyes were on us--well, on me and Caleb.

Whispers broke out, and then I saw Jace jump up from a table that had Zack, Mira, and Luce, and walk right up to us--me.

“Where were you?” he said, exasperated. “I was looking for you for hours. I thought something had happened.”

Remembering what had happened hours before in this same exact room, I reply emotionlessly, “None of your business.”

“Yes it is my goddamn busi--hey! You were the girl who told me you didn’t know where Kailyn was!” Jace abruptly changed his anger to Sera, who was standing next to me. She was looking back at him. Then she shrugged.

“I--” Jace changed mid-sentence. “You know what, never mind. Kailyn,” he says, changing his gaze back to me, his eyes pleading.  “Please, let me explain what happened--”

“You know what? Kailyn doesn’t care anymore. She doesn’t care about you. She made new friends, so why don’t you back off and stop bothering her,” Caleb says, stepping in front of me. Then he pulls me towards an empty table, with Sera following silently. Everyone was still watching the tension.

As we sit down, Jace walks out of the cafeteria, and suddenly all the tension stops. Everyone starts talking again, but mostly about us.

Caleb gets up and comes back with some food. He hands them to me and Sera, and suddenly three girls come up to him--all wearing tight, pink shirts and short skirts.

Two sits next to him, and one plops down right on his lap. I can see a flicker of annoyance flash in Caleb’s eyes, but he hides them.

“Calebbbb,” the girl sitting on his lap purrs.  “I’ve been looking for you.”

“Yeahhh, like, where’ve you been?” the two girls say, hugging him.

Sera was just eating and reading silently, ignoring the exchange in front of her like it was normal. Caleb looks up at me, and seeing me with my eyebrows raised, he pleads me with his eyes.

I shake my head back and forth mutely. His bottom lip then pushes out into a pout, his eyes pleading even harder.

I resist for a few more seconds, then I give in. I sigh, then turn to the girl sitting on Caleb’s lap--I’m guessin’ the leader--and say in a girly voice,  “Hey girl, there’s a hot guy outside the agency askin’ for you. He has an eight-pack, and huge muscles. Looks like he wants somethin’ from you,  if you know what I mean.” And the whole time I was saying that, it was with a blank face, but I’m sure my eyes showed disgust. But somehow, the girls thought I was telling the truth.

The girl’s eyes widen, and so does the two girls next to her. “Like, Oh my gawd! Really?!” and she jumps off Caleb and dashes out of the room, with the two girls following behind shouting, “Hey! Wait for me!” and “Don’t keep him all to yourself!”

Everyone was watching in curiosity. I lean back in my seat, rolling my eyes. “Idiots,” I mutter.

Sera raises her left hand up into the air in front of me without taking her eyes off the book she’s reading. I high-five her without looking, and turns to my food. I dig in.

“Thanks,” says Caleb, making me look up at him. “You have no idea how many girls bother me each day.”

I raise an eyebrow. “Conceited, much?”

He chuckles. “Yes, yes I am.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I know, that was a kind of short chapter. Maybe the next will be longer?

How do you guys like the new character? I kind of like Sera's personality xD

Tell me what you all think!

Comment, Fan, vote?

Thanks!

~Star