Chapter 14 - Caleb and Sera

Chapter 14 – Caleb and Sera

I woke up to the soft noise of someone flipping through the pages of a book, and the dim lights of the library. I look around, and realize that I am still laying down on the soft pillows that are halfway hidden in the corner of the enormous, old-fashioned library.

“So. . . I see you’re awake,” a voice says casually, making me bolt up and look to the right--straight into two pairs of chocolate-brown eyes.

“Oh. . . yeah,” I reply, simultaneously examining his dark brown--almost black hair. The boy was probably around my age, and Jace’s height. Though I think he’s actually a tiny bit taller than Jace. He was reading a book--Romeo and Juliet?

He finally looks up, “Hey, I’m Caleb.”

I blink confused at him, and look at my surroundings. There was no one within twenty feet of us, like this part of the library is deserted. I see a few people on the other side of the library, but they were so far away they were thin lines. So why was Caleb here?

I look back to him, and see him staring at me, with one eyebrow raised. Noticing that I haven’t replied, I quickly respond, “Oh, I’m Kailyn.”

He nods.

“So. . . why are you here, on this side of the library? The only other people I see here are on the other side of the library.”

He then smirks, “Well, actually the question is: Why are you here? This is actually my spot. I come here often to read and study. . . and. . . also when I want to get away from everything.”

My eyes widen. “Oh,” I say as I start to get up.

“It’s fine,” he says, stopping me. “You looked sad, and plus, it wasn’t like you were doing anything bad, so it’s fine.” He smiles hugely at me. I nod, not really trusting this stranger just yet.

Just then a girl walks up to us with dark rimmed glasses, deep auburn hair, and blue eyes. Her hair was cropped short and layered, so it reaches the bottom of her chin. This girl actually looks. . . unsocial. She was wearing no expressions at all, and it looks like she’s always like that, which reminds me of my old self. I wonder if I’ll like her.

She looks at me. “Jace is looking for you. He doesn’t know you’re here,” she states bluntly.

I look at her confused. “Do I know you, and how do you know he’s looking for me?”

“Everyone knows you. You’re the SSA girl that Jace likes.”

“No. . . he likes that Vanessa girl. She’s his girlfriend.”

“Wow he got back together with that slut again? Oh well don’t worry about him!” Caleb suddenly exclaims. “We’ll be your new friends. Forget about Jace!”

We ignore him. The girl just keeps staring at me, making me even more confused.

“You never told me--” I got interrupted.

“Kailyn, this is Sera--one of my friends. She doesn’t talk much, and is blunt, but she knows a lot of what’s going on,” Caleb cuts in.

Before I can reply Sera sits down in front of me and gets out a napkin and hands it to me, “You were crying,” she states.

Then I see. Sera might not talk much, or show any emotion, but she does have feelings. Maybe that was what I was like, but the thing was--I didn’t know anything about feelings. I was never allowed to show them. Maybe this girl is kind of like. . . me.

Comforted by the feeling of knowing I’m not alone, I wipe the few tears that had leaked out when we were talking about Jace.

“Thanks,” I say.