Part 52

Dinner that night was quiet. Hunter wasn't here to joke around like he usually did, so there was a lot less laughter.

Since there were only a few boys left the table was smaller and I could have a conversation where everyone could actually hear me.

Sitting on my other side, my dad was showing my mum some of the gifts he had gotten flown in from overseas. He loved admiring his new watch and presenting my mother with way too many flowers.
Thomas was chatting to Isabelle about Hunter's departure.

Lance sat next to me, chatting away about his famous sticky toffee pudding that he wanted to make me some time. It truely sounded delicious.

"It one of my favourite recipes. I'll make you some one day, you'll love it Charlotte." Lance says to me and I smile at his enthusiasm.

"I'd love that."

"I'd like some too." Liam says from across the table.

Tate is quick to agree, "Yes, please save me some."

Lance chuckles, "Of course. I'll make some for all you guys."

Raydon then continues on about one of his family's famous recipes.

"Where are you going?" I hear my mum ask.

My attention is drawn to the other side of the table as my parents discuss something. My dad stands and excuses himself as he moves away to speak with some people in the hall. Must be a work thing.

Several of the boys came over to me to chat before sitting back down, clearly all keen for some one on one time with me.

Tate, Lance and Raydon all get out of their seats to move around and speak with me, while my father isn't here to tell them off. It was clearly a lot more casual now the group was smaller.

Izzy had a conversation with Liam, and Tate even spoke with my mother. I could tell he was nervous doing so though. My mum was becoming more open to chatting with the selected, now there was less of a crowd.

After a while my father returned to the room and sat back down, explaining it was just something to do with finances he had to deal with.

"Everything's sorted." My dad said to my mother, sounding relieved.

As the meal concluded, I expected my father to dismiss everyone as usual, but he didn't. Mum must have had the same concern and because she looked to him with a furrowed brow.

"What's wrong?" Mum asked him, touching his arm.

"My expensive watch, the gift I got delivered this morning, it's gone." My father says quietly, so only my family hears, but he's clearly angry.

My brother leans over, "What do you mean gone?"

"Taken." My dad shows the empty gift box to us, "I left it here, closed in the box, and went to speak with the advisors. Did you see anyone come near my seat?"

It was definitely gone. The spot where the watch sat was empty, where it had been when he showed it off before dinner to my mother.

"No, I didn't. But I wasn't paying attention." My mother comments and none of us knew what had happened. I wasn't sure, as people had been moving around all throughout the meal.

"But no one's come in or out of the room except for the staff."

"One of them must have snuck it with their trays or on a trolley." My dad says angrily, but keeping his tone low.

"They can't have, the staff haven't put anything on the table since we sat down. And surely we would have seen someone open the box. It's been sitting here the whole time." Isabelle insists, but even she seems unsure. None of us were really focusing on it.