Part 20

At dinner time I met up with Lance, as a make up date for the last one he planned and I missed. While the other selected would be having their meal in the dining hall, I was with Lance down in the kitchens as we were making our own dinner.
As much as I'd love to stay and talk with Isabelle in the gardens, I didn't want more questioning from her. I wanted a distraction, and as I still had a selection that required my attention it was the perfect time to hang out with one of the guys.

Lance had the cute Australian surfer look, dirty blonde hair that he had covered with the chefs hat he was wearing. His accent added to his charm. Lance's big brown eyes were following me across the room as I grabbed us an apron each off the hooks.

"So do you surf?"

I ask, watching Lance as he ties his apron around his back, before helping me tie mine.

Lance gives me an amused smile, "Me? Surfing? I don't think so. Not everyone in Australia can surf."

"But you have lots of beaches don't you?"

"Oh yeah, the best, but I'm not much of a swimmer. I'm much more of a cook." Lance tells me and I nod, knowing I'm not much of a swimmer either.

"See that I know. That's why we're here, to make some dinner."

Lance nods, "I figured. I'm glad you asked me to come. So, what are we making?"

"I was thinking maybe a noodle dish."

"I love noodles. Oh, I know, I have a great recipe for this noodle dish." Lance says and reaches into his pocket to grab out his iMove. He opens it and pulls up a tab of saved recipes, scrolling down to find what he was looking for.

"That looks so tasty," I say, looking at the picture on the recipe, "Let's make it. We should have everything we need in this pantry somewhere."

I move into the walk in pantry and grab what I had seen briefly on the recipe, like onions, garlic, curry paste, soy sauce and oil. Lance moves past me as I put some of the ingredients on the bench and look back at what's being displayed on his device.

Lance picks out some prawns, chicken and vegetables, along with the noodles, to add to the dish.

"I'll fry the chicken and prawns if you can cook the noodles." Lance says and I nod, happily humming to myself as I get out a pot and pan for us to use.

"I'm not all the good at cooking, as I usually have help from Thomas or Isabelle when I do, so I'm sorry if I do anything wrong."

Lance turns and gives me a smile, "You're doing just fine so far."

"We haven't really done anything yet."  I say with a shrug, looking at the ingredients that had only been set down on the bench so far.

Lance smiles, "Exactly, nothings on fire and we've still got all our fingers in tact, so I count that as a win."

"I guess I'm not to bad after all." I say jokingly and after a few minutes put the noodles into the water that has just begun to boil.

I watched Lance as he expertly cuts and fries up the chicken. He also grabs a wok, which I wouldn't know what to do with, and cooks the prawns. He sets me on task of cutting up the carrot, capsicum and spring onion.

"Who taught you to cook?" I ask as we work side by side in the kitchen and Lance brightens up, clearly happy to talk about this.

"My mum. She loves cooking." He says with a loving smile.

I grin back at him, "That's nice."

"Yeah, I love spending time with her. She would be so happy I'm getting to cook here." He says