Part 42

"Introducing her Royal highness, Princess Charlotte."

The doors were thrown open and I final could take a look at the crowds of people below.

The winter festival ball was always a popular event, and as I looked at all the guests in the ballroom I could see it was certainly true. There were many people I knew, but many faces I didn't.

Tate was right, I did stand out in my burgundy gown, because below me was a sea of shades of blue, white, gold and silver dresses.

I began my decent down the steps, smiling at all the eyes on me as I swept a look over the crowd. My dress trailed on the floor behind me and I took my time making my way down.

Everyone around was watching me, my parents, the selected boys and a lot of my extended family members. After a round of applause everyone goes back to mingling and I went to do the same.

I greeted everyone with smiles, chatting and eating at the food tables as I looked for my partner for the first dance.

I knew who I wanted to dance with, and as the very first dance it was an honour to be asked, so I hoped I was making the right decision.

I found him eventually and fell into a curtsey to give my request.

"Mr Cunning, will you do me the honour of a dance?"

Tate bowed, a pleased smile across his face, "Of course, your highness."

I took his extended hand and we moved to the dance area with the other couples.

"I'm so glad you offered me your first dance Charlotte." Tate says as we moved in the circle of dancers, and I could feel his hand pressing softly into my back as he leads us through.

"I wouldn't rather dance with anyone else. And how can I not when you designed the very gown I am wearing."

"It does look stunning on you."

"Why thank you."

The music began and each of the couples greeted one another. I curtsied again to Tate as he bowed and we stepped in towards one another.

One of his hands clasped mine while his other slid around my waist. Being so close to him made me feel warm and comfortable, moving with him to the beat of the music.

I smiled as I heard Tate softly humming along to the song, delicately stepping in time with me.

"It's certainly a popular event today." Tate comments, and I watch his eyes as they scan around the space behind me. I noticed that as his eyes met back with mine his smile tugged up a bit.

I nod, "It always is."

Tate then complimented me again, making me blush as we dance together. He's a good dancer, but not the best. I have to remind him of a few of the steps, which is fine as long as he's not stepping on my toes.

"Sorry." He says as he forgets the next move, but I just lead him along with what I'm doing.

"You're doing great." I say as we manage to do the correct circle around the ballroom along with the other couples.

Tate looked handsome tonight, in a black suit and with his brown hair neatly pushed back.

The first dance is short and sweet, and Tate places a kiss on my knuckles as the music finishes. Being the gentleman he is, he lets me go off on my search for another dance partner.