Chapter 8 P2 - Charlie

Heat travels through my body and it takes a lot of effort to control my breathing when I think about playing pool again. She smelled good. I wanted to kiss her so badly, but I was afraid if I did I would screw up everything between us. We are just on good terms. Or so it seems. Now a few hours later, the boys got me drinking and I'm not doing well. I try to forget my feelings for Jay, but the booze doesn't really help.

"Mom is away for work, you know that, right." I hear Keith say next to me. I knock my beer back and throw the can away before looking at him.

"So?" I swallow the bile that threatened to come out. "We're not going to do an after-party at our house."

"After last time, I promised mom not to do it again, but we can ask the others to stay the night, or at least go there to drink a few more beers." I roll my eyes. The only reason he wants that is so that something might happen between him and Jay. Which will never happen because she's fucking gay.

"Mmm, you just want to chase your dick." I get a hard punch from him which makes me chuckle. "But fine, ask them." I can no longer think clearly. I'm also starting to think about things that I don't want to think about at all. Memories I don't want to recall. I swallow and grab a beer from a junior's hand.

"Yeah, why not," I hear Jake say. "It will be fun." He winks at me.

"I don't know, I don't know if my dad is okay with it." Jay takes another sip from her radler and looks at Keith.

"Not even with a super good excuse?" Keith grins at her, but she shakes her head.

She bites her lip. "My father isn't that easy to persuade." Sounds like she's having a hard time talking about her dad, but why?

"Guys it's already 1 o'clock, what's the plan?" Andrew asks who walks to us with his arm around a girl, who walks away from him as soon as he stand in front of us. Ah, loser. 

'1 hour!' Jay almost chugs out her drink. "I had to be home at half" She fishes her phone out of her pocket, a frown begins to form on her forehead.

"I'll take you home," Jake says, wrapping a reassuring arm around her. "I'll tell your dad it was my fault because we were still talking."

"Or you sneak into your house early in the morning and pretend you've been home since noon, what time does your dad go to sleep?" I look at her questioningly.

She seems to be in doubt. "I can say I got home at noon and went for a run with you in the morning." She looks at me and Keith. "Still room for 1 person?"

"Well," I tease. I pretend to check a queue and grin when she pushes me. "If you're lucky, we have room in maybe 2 months."

She rolls her eyes and chuckles. "Bitch."

"That's no problem." Keith glares at me for a moment.

"Let's go, this party is about to end." Jake says, pointing to some people behind him who are already having a heavy argument.

Why can it never end normally? "I don't want another encounter with the police, so yes."

"I'll get Jay." Before someone gets the chance to think about what he just said. Andrew throws Jay over his shoulder, raises his arm, shouts enthusiastically, and makes his way through the crowd. I hear Jay scream from laughter.

"Now follow the leader." Jake puts his arm around my neck and drags me after him. I almost laugh at Keith's jealous face and sing along.

"Follow the leader, leader, follow the... leader." I grin and drag Jake out of the house. When we stand on the grass we see Andrew and Jay. Jay is back on her own feet and punches the smiling Andrew on the shoulder.

"Andrew catch." Andrew is barely able to respond to Jake. They almost fall on the hard asphalt road, but Andrew manages to keep his balance.

"Jake, damn it!" I can still hear them laughing.

"Can we go?" I hear Keith ask, how does he look so helpless?

"I'm driving," Jay says quickly, pulling my keys from between my fingers.

I look at her insulted, follow her to my car. "I can still drive just fine."

"Charlie," she says. She gets in, but I don't give up just yet and jump in the passenger seat before Keith can do that.

"I only had a few drinks."

"A few too many." Jay grins as Jake and Andrew laugh in the back seat. "Buckle up," she orders. I roll my eyes when she looks at me, but still do what she says.

"Next time I'll drive," I mumble, adjusting the navigation. It's not a long drive, but I don't expect Jay to know where I live.

"You know I've been to your house right?" Jay grins at me. Shit the "gathering".

"Just to be sure." I wave my hand and rest my head against the window. Quite nice not to drive for once.

------

"Charlie." Someone bumps my shoulder. I open my eyes with difficulty and look in two green ones, then my eyes move down to a smile and then back to those green eyes again. "Charlie, we're here."

Oh shit I fell asleep. Did I drool? I sit up and quickly swipe at the corners of my mouth. "Sorry," I mutter.

"The boys wanted to leave you here, but I don't think that's a very good idea." Shit Jay. My eyes open and I stare at her. She holds my door open and looks at me. "Did you know that your left mouth corner keeps pulling up in your sleep?" What? I stare at her in amazement.

"What?" I ask a little sleepy. I take her hand to get out of the car and stretch my body as I walk onto the driveway.

"It's cute." My eyes immediately dart back to her, but she doesn't look at me. She clears her throat. "Okay, the boys went to bed, although I doubt they really went to sleep."

I chuckle. "They are having a beer in the attic, Keith's "man" cave," I say a little too sarcastically. But Jay laughs at it. We walk in the house without saying much. I throw my keys in the dish next to the door and head out to the living room in front of Jay. I stretch again.

The advantage of our house is that everything runs together. From the stairs you can look into the kitchen, the living room is central and then you have a sliding door that leads to our large backyard, to the house where I can be found a lot and the veranda where I and Keith often sit with the others. just like at the meeting from 2 days ago.

"You can sleep in a spare room, follow me." I yawn. Walk up the stairs. Jay follows me without saying too much. "Bathroom is the furthest door, my room is the second on the left." I don't know why I said that, but I said it anyway, I really am half sleeping. "And here's one of the guest rooms," I say, pulling open the door that's directly opposite of my room. "If anything is wrong, just knock."

Jay walks into the room, she looks around for a moment and then sits on the bed. "Okay." I hear her say.

I push myself away from the door frame and close the door with my way out. "Sleep tight." I close my eyes when the door is closed. Serious? Sleep tight? I shake my head and walk into my room where I fall forward on the bed and groan into my pillow. What will Mom think when she comes home in the morning? Shit.