Chapter 4 - Jay

How the hell did I get here? I'm staring at the bell, am I going to ring the bell or not? Jake wasn't kidding about that "meeting" which I was hoping for. This gathering is simply the team that comes together before a match. Although I won't be playing tomorrow, thanks to my hands, the nurse said I needed more rest, bullshit. Still, I am at this "meeting", that's how Andrew calls it. I laughed at him squarely.

This week was actually quite good, better than last week. Besides the fact that Walker and Tyler tried to belittle me again and Jake recorded it for me several times and Andrew and/or Keith confronted them a few times.

I'm not talking about Charlie on purpose, not because I try to forget her, she just lingers in my head. Especially after last week and the embarrassing incident. Charlie helped me the most.

Maybe it's because we're girls or just because we click, but Coach has decided that we are training partners and I don't know if I should be happy about that. It turns out Charlie is quite open about her sexuality, she only likes girls, that's pretty obvious. I said I wanted to know more about her, I didn't mean I wanted to know who she fell for, guess I just asked for it a little bit.

Shelby is fine, we've only hung out out twice so far. She's quite nice and I can laugh with her, I just don't know if she really is my type of friend. She belongs to completely different cliques than I am, I am more of a loner. Actually, I already think it's terrible that I have to come here, but woohooo team spirit right?

I can no longer ring the bell, the front door opens. Jake stares at me with a grin. "It looked like you got an error, come in." He steps aside for me.

"Uhm, yes sorry."

"We all have our brain errors." Jake on the other hand, I get along well with him, he doesn't expect anything from me, I don't expect anything from him, perfect and he treats me like an equal, that might be the best. Okay no, how he embarrasses himself, that's the best.

"Okay, before you get mad at me, I tried to stop them, but they finished all the pizzas." I pretend to get angry and then laugh at him.

"I don't mind, I just ate." That's a lie, I'm actually terribly hungry.

"You sure? I can still throw a pizza in the oven." As much as I want to say yes, I still shake my head. "On the healthy tour, it's much smarter." I roll my eyes.

"Finally." I hear Andrew growl. I smile faintly as we step into the yard.

"I found her," Jake says, pushing me into the couch.

"I can finally open my beer?" Keith teases. Andrew kicks him and some other guys punch him. I only now look to the right for the first time and immediately regret it. I am introduced to two bright blue eyes. Eyes I know well.

"That lasted long enough," Charlie grins, biting her lip.

"Sorry, still had to eat." Lie.

"No problem." She stares into my eyes. "Have you been to things like this before?"

I wait a while before I answer. This is going to sound silly, so I turn my head away and fiddle with my shirt.

"What?" Charlie nudges my shoulder. I swallow, I shudder to the touch. "You're not going to tell me you never sat with your team."

I am now staring at the ground. "What if I say it is." I say it softly, I am ashamed.

"Then I say that we are going to change that." My gaze shoots to hers, she was already looking at me. "You're not going to regret it." I still have doubts about that.

"So Layla." I frown at Tyler.

"Jay," I correct him. He rolls his eyes.

"Jule, since you're new and no one knows you, I think we should ask some questions." Jesus, is this guy serious? The other conversations stop to look at us, pretty much everyone knows who I am, thanks to my mom, or at least everyone's gossip. I see Charlie roll her eyes next to me.