I sit down to put on my shoes and come to myself for a moment. I am in my head, I always do that before a match starts. Most of the time I still have my music on, but I don't think that's a very great idea now. 

"Ready, rookie?" My eyes open and I look up. Charlie is leaning on her baseball bat and has a crooked grin on her face. I stare at her for a moment, until she raises an eyebrow. Shit.

"I-I think so," I stammer. She nods.

"Pitcher?" She has a good eye for detail.

"Yup." I stand up and straight my shirt. I can't think when she's so close.

I nod to coach Lewis who is signaling to me. "I have to..." I step past her, but before I can walk away she takes my arm. I shiver, did she feel that shock too?

"Watch out for Walker." She looks at me, I swallow with difficulty. "He's playing mean." I nod. Charlie looks at me for a moment, she seems to be saying something, but then closes her mouth again. She shakes her head and looks away. "Good luck."

I try to smile, but I know I fail terribly. I quickly walk onto the field, shaking Charlie off. At least that's what I try, she just keeps haunting my mind, she's been doing that all day.

I put on a glove and catch a ball with my free hand to show that I'm serious. I can already see from coach's face that he did not see that coming.

As I try to ignore all the looks I get into position and let the ball rotate in my hand.

"Walker," Coach shouts. My gaze jumps. Walker walks to the home base with a smug smile and stands.

"Is this a joke, are you losing your mind again?" He gestures. Despite wanting to be confident, I do get a little nervous, why does he have to remind me of my mom again?

"Charlie Davis, what the hell are you doing?" Coach shouts. I look up again. Charlie walks up to me. Walker lowers his bat with a roll of his eyes.

"You can't throw when your wrists aren't warm," she calls back to the coach. She grabs my wrist and kneads it for a moment. "Don't look at Walker," she mutters to me. "He hits with his bat on his right side, so a slider doesn't work, he also tries to distract you with his eyes, look at the base. Walker is good at hitting fast balls, don't try it."

"Why are you helping me." I look at her.

Charlie lets go of my wrist and smashes the ball in my hand. "Because that piss butterfly will shut his mouth for christ sake." She looks into my eyes again. "No slider."

"I'm throwing with both hands." She raises her eyebrows at me for a moment. "And I'm more into screwballs." Her eyebrows go even higher.

"Okay, then I haven't said anything, you can do this." She winks and walks away from me to give me space. "She's ready, Coach."

"At your mark..."

"Jay Miller," Charlie answers for me. A light blush spread across my cheeks. Act normal! I shake my head slightly.

The coach sighs. "At your mark Miller."

I take a deep breath in and out. You are better, stronger, you throw powerful balls. When I open my eyes I am sure. I feel the same piece of confidence pounding through my body as I would feel at any other match. Determination in my eyes and the adrenaline pumping through my veins make me even more confident. There's nothing Walker can do to distract me anymore.

I pull my arm back and I throw the ball at Walker. Who looks surprised at the ball when it rushes towards him. He misses my curveball.

"Holy shit." I hear a boy say.