Chapter 19 Future

*Ruby Andria - Age 16, 2544*

Luckily for Ruby and Jason, Rachel did uphold her non-promise and tried her best. She had stopped training so late and had always attempted to make it home to cook for her brother. The very few times she couldn't make it, Jason and Ruby tried to cook themselves and they both discovered that Ruby and cooking did not go well together. Luckily, they were able to repair the kitchen and rid themselves of the abomination before Rachel arrived. Unbeknownst to the adult, the two sixteen year olds had spent a lot of time researching different military divisions and agencies while she was gone. They were currently gathered in Jason's room, both with their laptops open and typing away at them.

Ruby: Anything interesting?

Jason: Not really. The UNSC is pretty boring, and ONI is a literal piece of sh-

Ruby: Language.

Jason: *sighs* Yes ma'am.

Ruby: Also, they are indeed annoying. Stupid firewalls.

Jason: Oh, I found a list of stuff.

Ruby: What do we have then?

She leaned onto him and looked at his screen.

Jason: There's Charon Industries, Directed by Malcom Hargrove. He also runs the oversight-sub committee.

Ruby: Lame.

Jason: Hm. . . Spartan II Program? Directed by Catherine Halsey.

Ruby: Wait, you mean like THE Spartans? Like the Master Chief?!

Jason: Yeah! There isn't any information though. It's just kind of. . . there.

Ruby: Aw, dang it! *sighs* What else is there?

Jason: Uh, not much of- Oh. . .

Ruby raised a brow as he quieted, looking closer at his laptop.

Ruby: Project Freelancer. . . Directed by Leonard Ch-. . . Oh. . . So that's where he's been. . . Prick.

Jason: *mumbles* Geez, he could've at least told us he was going to go run a military program.

He was gripping the bottom of the computer very tightly. . .

Ruby: Hey. . .

She put her laptop on the mattress and wrapped her arms around him, pressing her hands to the back of his.

Ruby: It's okay. . . He's been gone for too long, don't let him affect you. . .

After taking a few deep breaths, the boy's grip loosened and his lover slowly pulled them from the laptop.

Jason: Sorry, it's just. . . this war really needs to end soon.

Ruby: . . . Yes, yes it does. But, there isn't much we can do besides wait.

She shifted to his side and leaned on his shoulder.

Ruby: I'm sure things will start to look better once it's over. . . .

*Three Years Later - Project Freelancer*

Helmets off, North, York, South Carolina lingered in the locker room. The one with a single eyes walked next to Jason and opened his locker while the Aqua freelancer looked into his visor.

York: How's your shoulder?

Jason: Just fine.

North: List changed again.

The leaderboard now read like so,

1. Texas

2. North Carolina