Chapter 19

Hey readers! I know this chapter is long, but I couldn't find a way to break it up. A little shout out to holby_nadani.. . I swear I didn't get the elevator/ lift idea from you!🤣🤣 I had a different scenario in mind, but it wasn't coming out right.

The final few months went by faster than they thought. It was Haley's last day working at the gift shop before she started maternity leave. The baby was due in about a week, and her and Kian had thought of everything. They had booked a room in the maternity ward, bought a cot and carrier seat, and Kian even made room on his schedule to go to a few birthing classes.
Her shift ended, and Haley decided to go up to Darwin to see Kian in his office before she went home. Walking past the nurses station, she ran into Fletch.
"Hi, Haley." He said cheerfully.
"Hi, Fletch. Is Kian around?" Haley asked.
"Oh, he's in theater right now. Do you want me to let him know you're here?"
"Oh no, I'll just wait until he's finished. We were going to get my favorite take-away for dinner tonight." Haley replied, heading to Kian's office.
"Have a good time tonight, and, hey congratulations."
Haley sat down on the couch in the office and took out her e-reader. It wasn't long before, Nicky, who had just sat down at the nurses station, heard her cry out. She ran over to the office, knocking over a stack of papers in the process, only thinking about her friend.
"Hang on!" She yelled, bursting through the door.
"Can you get Kian for me now?" Haley breathed, smiling nervously as she bent double.
"Ummm, I'll send someone to get him." Nicky said, flagging down Fletch.
"Haley's in labor! Get Kian!" She hissed. Fletch grabbed the nearest phone and paged the operating theater.
Kian was operating, fully concentrated. Jac and some other doctors were standing by. He heard the page and answered it.
"Mr. Madani? You're needed in your office."
"Can I finish this? It's touch and go right now." He said, holding his breath.
"It's your wife, she's in labor."
Kian nearly dropped his instruments. He and Jac locked eyes.
"Just go; I'll take over." She said without hesitation.

Kian stripped out of his surgical scrubs and cleaned up as fast as he could. He grabbed the nearest lift and punched in the floor number. The doors closed and the lift moved until it lurched stop. The doors remained closed.
"Ugh...No!" He groaned. He tried to forcing the door open with his bare hands, and kicked it in frustration. He dug out his phone and called Fletch.
"Fletch, it's me. The lift's stuck!"
"We'll try to send someone. Just sit tight."
"How can I sit tight?" He said through gritted teeth. Taking a breath, he added, "Sorry. Is Haley okay?"
"She's hanging in there; both me and Nicky are with her. Don't worry, we know what to do, mate. And Sacha's on his way." Fletch said, trying to keep the anxiety out of his voice.
"Can you put her on?" Kian asked. He heard Haley's voice.
"Kian?"
"Hold on, baby; I'm coming." He heard her starting to cry. "I promise I'll be there." Kian said, gripping the phone for dear life. He hung up, very reluctantly, to keep the line open and paced like a caged animal. It probably was only a few minutes, but it felt like an eternity.

As if his prayers were answered, the light came on and the doors opened. He nearly ran over Fletch as he bolted down the hallway.
"I'm here!" He screamed as he made it through the door.
Kian knelt down next to Haley. She was squeezing Nicky's hand so hard that the intern's tan skin looked white. She released them to shift so Kian could see how she was doing.
I.....can't....push......anymore!" She gasped.
"Sure you can, love. Just take some deep breaths." Fletch said. Sacha ran up to the office door, pushing a gurney.
"I can get us to maternity." He said, bursting into the room. "How far along is she?"
"I can see the head!" Kian yelled. "We can't move her!" Sacha stepped in.
"I can take over, you hold your wife's hand." He said. Kian locked hands with Haley, and she held it so tight he thought his fingers were breaking.
"Just breathe, Haley." He soothed, stroking her hair with his free hand.
Fletch grabbed a few instruments for emergency prep, and a pair of scissors, a few binder clips, and some alcohol from the nurses station. Nicky handed Sacha Kian's hoodie.
The brief seconds that followed felt like forever. Haley got the final push in, and nearly fainted from the pain. Sacha wrapped the baby in the hoodie.
"It's a girl!" He cheered, smiling. Kian clamped the umbilical cord with the binder clips and cut it. The baby cried, indicating a strong pair of lungs.
"She's beautiful." He whispered, kissing his wife.
"What's her name?" Nicky asked.
"I...don't have one yet." Haley answered. Her voice was barely louder than a whisper.
"Congratulations, Mr. and Mrs. Madani." Fletch said, going for the phone. "I'll let maternity know and we can get mum and baby checked out."
Haley was still shaky, so Kian held the baby close to her.
"You did it, sweetheart. You're so strong. I love you." He whispered, kissing her sweat-soaked forehead.
Haley smiled weakly, and started to sit up straighter. Suddenly, she bent over, groaning.
Kian handed the baby to Sacha and went to his wife.
"What's wrong?"
"It might just be afterbirth coming," Haley moaned. She winced with another wave of pain, and everyone's eyes widened in fear when they saw it was a gout of blood.

"She's bleeding!" Kian yelled. He could stay cool in a crisis, but concern for his wife had made him a wreck

"Oh no....." Nicky breathed.
"Stay calm, Haley." Fletch said. His dark eyes were wide with fear.
Sacha tried to soothe the baby as she started to wail. He walked over to the phone and dialed the emergency number.
"Looks like we're going to need a couple of units of blood and a surgeon." He said quietly.

Nick grabbed a towel from a stack of hospital linen and put it between Haley's legs.
"I'll take her shoulders, you take her feet so we can get her on the gurney." Fletch said
Kian obeyed silently. When Haley was being wheeled to theater, she never let go of Kian's hand. Kian could hear her ragged breathing, see her eyelids drooping.
"Stay awake, Haley!" He cried. Sacha opened the door to the wing. Kian felt her grip loosen on his hand, and saw the doctors carting her away. Instinctively, he ran after her. It took both Fletch and Sacha to hold him back.
"Haley, stay with me, please." He pleaded.

Fletch had never seen someone cry like that. Fletch had been with Kian when Bea died; this hurt just as much.

Sacha put his hands on Kian's shoulders.

"Kian! Stop it! You aren't helping anyone! We all need to be calm." He said firmly.
Kian shook his head. "NO!!!"
"Kian, please!"
"No! Let go of me!"
"Kian, listen to me—she's still semi-conscious, but probably needs a blood transfusion. She's in good hands, Kian." He assured him. "The baby is in the nursery now; go be with her."

The door swung shut, leaving Kian in the hallway. What was supposed to be one of the happiest days of their lives had become the scariest. He walked to a wall and rested his forehead against it, then feeling a surge of frustration, pounded his fist, tears of helplessness running down his face.

His wife was being cared for, all he could do now was be there for his newborn baby.