Chapter 8

About a month later, Haley was having lunch at Pulses when she happened to see Jac.

"Hi, Jac." She said cheerfully, and went to sit by her.

"Hello, Haley." Jac replied crisply, and looked at her phone.

Remembering when they met at the craft show, Haley asked the next question.

"How's Emma doing?" Jac sighed.

"She's alright. I have to find a different babysitter for her right now. I might just send her to her father's instead."

"I could watch her." Haley suggested. "I used to babysit my younger cousins all the time. I'm only working a few days a week, so we could work something out."

Jac was surprised, but not upset.

"You sure? Aren't you planning your wedding with Kian?"

"I've got a lot taken care of. I'll talk things over with him. Just drop Emma off at our house."

Jac took a breath. All she knew of Haley was what Kian had said. But, she couldn't bring Emma to work with her, at least not every day.

"Alright. Let me see what I can work out."

Haley was excited to be watching Emma. The house she had bought with Kian was in walking distance from a playground and had a safe, fenced-in backyard. There were two small extra bedrooms upstairs on the second floor and a finished basement that were begging to be turned into rooms for kids.

Jac dropped Emma off a few days later.

"Is Kian here, too?" The little girl asked.

"No, he's at work right now. But, he and I have to go somewhere tonight, so he'll be home later and you can see him."

Emma sat down at the coffee table in the living room and started drawing.

"Can I watch cartoons?" Emma asked, putting her crayons down.

"Sure, your mum told me that you like princess movies. Would you like me to put one on?"

"Frozen is my favorite." Emma said, sounding excited.

"Hmmm...how about we watch my favorite princess movie; Anastasia."

"Okay."

Ten minutes later Emma was enraptured in the music and magic. Haley made them both grilled cheese sandwiches for lunch later that day, and Emma went back to drawing. For fun, Haley taught her how to make a friendship bracelet. Later, they decided to make a snack.

"What are we going to make?"

"Crispy squares. But special ones with chocolate and peanut butter." Emma's eyes lit up.

"Sounds yummy!" She said. Kian came home just then, and Emma ran out of the kitchen to hug him.

"Emma, help me measure out the chocolate chips." Haley said, and Emma stood on a stool next to her so she could reach the counter. Kian reached between them and popped a few pieces in his mouth.

"Hey!" Emma said, putting her hands on her hips. "Eat your own chocolate."

Together Haley and Emma measured out the peanut butter, Kian putting a little dollop on the end of Emma's nose. All three of them laughed. Haley melted sugar and corn syrup and poured it in a big bowl of crispy rice cereal, melting the peanut butter. After putting the mixture in a baking pan, a layer of melted chocolate chips was spread on top. Emma was so excited that she couldn't wait until it came out of the fridge.

Kian went into the living room to check out Emma's artwork while Haley cleaned up. After each of them having a square, they walked to the playground to wait for Jac to pick Emma up. To anyone else, they would have looked like a family.