Chapter Forty-Nine

"Watch my back while I pick the lock

"Watch my back while I pick the lock." Colton instructs while we make our way down the familiar hallway.

The demon is still on his back, but begins to move again. I can hear the chatter amongst the inmates as we grow closer. Every few steps I turn my head back to make sure nobody is following us.

"Holy shit." Colton mumbles under his breath.

"What?" I turn to face the many jail cells. There is nothing surprising.

"Juliet, were you in here?" He turns to me.

"Yes. Why?"

"They're all from the Afterworld. There's no way this many people were mistakenly sent down here, there's no way. There's hundreds of prisons down here, there must be thousands of people from the Afterworld, but it doesn't make sense." He rubs the back of his neck.

Instead of unlocking Nick's cell, he begins picking at the lock belonging to the first cell that stored at least ten people, but I'm not exactly paying attention to what he was doing.

"Why are you freeing all of them? They can't escape." I question.

"No fucking way." Nick chuckles as a dozen prisoners scatter from their cells. "You're actually saving me?"

I turn to him. "What else would I be doing? Hurry up, he's going to come back."

"They'll distract him." He moves towards Nick's cell and quickly unlocks it. He doesn't leave, only stands in pure shock.

"I can't believe it." He looks at me, then at the door, then back up at me. Nick walks out of the cell and practically jumps onto me. A hug has never felt so satisfying before.

I thought I would never be able to see him again, to hug him again, or hear his laugh. I squeeze him tight hoping that I would never have to let go. He finally got his hug, but it's not a hug goodbye this time.

"That's cute. Can we save it for when we get out of here?" Colton punches my arm and begins walking down the pathway.

"Wait!" I exclaim, then point to Daisy's cell. "You have to release her too." Colton does as I say and I turn to Nick.

"You're taller than me." I observe. It's weird seeing him after he has gone through puberty.

I follow Colton through the cave once Daisy is free. "I appreciate it, Juliet." She whispers.

All of the people who escaped vanished, and so does the demon. "Where's the exit?" I inquire, scanning a room of darkness.

"I told you where the exit was like twenty minutes ago. What would you have done if I wasn't here, huh?" Colton crosses his arms in frustration.

"I wouldn't be able to escape anyway because you have the emeralds, smart one." I argue, trying not to raise my voice at his infuriating sarcasm.