Chapter Twenty-Eight

"Julia!" The door slams shut, waking me from my peaceful sleep

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

"Julia!" The door slams shut, waking me from my peaceful sleep. My eyes tear open once I realize why I was woken up.

"Sorry." I sit up in my bed, then hold my hand over my face from being dizzy after sitting up so fast.

"You're lucky I woke you up in time, or else we would have been late and Colton probably would've left." Brooke hops onto my bed. She's fully dressed and ready to go.

"How much time do I have?" I rub my eyes.

"Like five minutes. Hurry." She commands and I pull the covers from my warm body. Grabbing the first pair of clothes I see, I quickly change into them and brush my hair.

"I feel like I need equipment or something, it feels odd just going with nothing." I look around my room for something I might need, but I don't see anything that would be useful in a journey to the Underworld.

"Maybe that's the voyager's job, to bring everything you need. I feel like Colton would've told you to bring something if you needed to." Brooke tells me.

"Or maybe he just wants to make my life miserable and only bring stuff for himself and not us." I raise an eyebrow.

"We'll see. Let's go." Brooke says and we're out the door.

I want to say goodbye to Tanner one more time, but I know he won't be awake at this time. Nobody is outside, only one or two people. We walk to the station, where there are only three other people. One of them is Colton. He wore a large backpack and held a pouch in his hand.

He appears confused when he sees us. His eyes squint and eyebrows furrow in a knot. "Am I seeing double?"

"What?" I ask, not sure what he was getting at.
"Are you here to say goodbye or something?" He asks Brooke.

She looks at me, then at him and shakes her head. "I'm coming."

He chuckles, shaking his head. "No you're not. Only blondie gets to come."

I glance at Brooke, wide eyed. "No, she's coming whether you like it or not. Do you want me to tell Carter about this?" I tilt my head to the side with an arrogant smirk on my face.

"Actually, Carter is the one who gave me the emeralds." He holds out ten bright green rocks in his hand. "Two to get to the middle world, two to the Underworld, three to get out of the Underworld and three to get back into the Afterworld. Two are for the little one. Sorry lady, you're not coming. Carter didn't authorize you."

I feel my heart sink to my feet and I turn to Brooke. Unfortunately, I have to believe him. "I'll be fine."

She shakes her head repeatedly. "No, I have to come. I don't want to leave you."

"That's sweet, really, but the train's here and we need to go." Colton intervenes, but I ignore him. I hug Brooke tightly and she holds me too.

"Tell Tanner and Jack that I'll be back soon. I will be back, I promise." I assure her. She's breathing quickly, looking more nervous than I am and I'm the one who has to go into the Underworld.