Chapter Twenty-One

A loud knock comes from my door

A loud knock comes from my door. The horrible memories of waking up for training fill my mind, but hopefully this time around it isn't so bad. I bet it won't be much different than usual if Brooke decides to show up.

Another frantic knock comes from the door and I become irritated at it. "Just a minute, Stacy!" I call out, then hustle over to the door.

Another loud knock echoes in my room. "Jesus what could possibly-" I begin, until I open the door and the words disappear from my mouth when I swallow them.

It's Brooke.

"What is your problem?"

She marches past me and I close the door behind her. "I'm sorry, it is actually really early in the morning, a little bit before you would normally get up but I had to make a few arrangements last night to get here, I had to search this entire place just to find Stacy and I went to your room and you weren't there but there's something-" Brooke rambles before I interrupt her.

"Brooke, calm down. Talk slower." I say, "Last night I was wandering around, that's probably why you didn't find me. Why are you here so early? Why weren't you at training yesterday? Where have you been?" I look at her hands, her shaky hands. They're messing with her dress and look sweaty. "Are you okay?"

Her eyes are welled with tears, which made them look even more pretty. Her lips tremble as she tries to speak to me. "Julia it has been a crazy few days and I don't even know how to begin to say this ..." Her voice cracks a little when she speaks. Suddenly I frown at the serious tone in her voice.

"Brooke tell me what it is. Is it about Nick?" I ask, my eyes wide open in fear. Please don't let it be about Nick. Please, anyone but Nick.

I know it's not about her, because she would have told me already. She's hesitating to tell me because she's scared of how I'll react.

"Well yesterday I was taken into a different class with a few other people who died at pretty much the exact same time as me. It was the day they let us look down at somebody." My throat is dry. My heart is racing. "It was like a viewing window or like a magic mirror or something but they said that we could choose one person to look at, just like we talked about. Some people chose celebrities but I chose Nick because I promised you that I would tell you about him and nothing happened."

I gasp quietly. "What? What do you mean nothing happened?"

"The kid before me looked at some random basketball player and it was just like looking at them through a camera. When I said Nick's full name the mirror did some weird magic thing and then it stopped and nothing happened. I asked them why that happened and they said that it's because..." She takes a deep breath and pauses.