Chapter Thirty-Five

Colton isn't a very good companion to walk long distances with

Colton isn't a very good companion to walk long distances with. I can sort of understand his frustration because of the scorching heat, tired legs, heavy backpack, and a girl who doesn't stop asking questions. But I was just trying to make a miserable experience more entertaining. I'm not going to walk for eight hours in silence.

"What was it like in the 1900's? What were the roaring 20's like?" I prompt, but this question actually brings a smile to his face.

"Prohibition was the worst and best thing. Sneaking into speakeasies was the best part. They were underground and the music was excellent." His eyes sparkle when he speaks about it.

"What's a speakeasy?" I question. The word doesn't seem familiar.

"That's what we called a party. They were fancier and more illegal than yours." He explains.

"I think I remember learning about those in school. What about the war, then? Did you actually get drafted?" I make a fist with my hand, hoping he won't get angry for me asking that.

His jaw clenches and I can sense his muscles tightening. "Yes." He retorts.

"It sounds like you lived a pretty good life. A long one." I frown thinking about how my life felt unfinished. I left feeling unsatisfied with what I had already accomplished. My parents were left without a child and now without both of them are gone.

"Long compared to yours. Short compared to everyone else's. Let's focus on the trip, blondie." I take that as a sign to either change the subject or shut up. I chose the first option.

"What are we going to do once we get into the Underworld? Do you have any idea of where Nick could be?"

"No." He replies, "you see, the Afterworld is kind of like a set of cities. It has trains and an open sky above it. The Underworld is like a cave with low ceilings and evil people. It's pure chaos and scary down there, you'll probably have nightmares for a while afterwards."

"Oh. That's... unsetting." I shiver just thinking about what creatures lurked down there and what I would come in contact with. "What about demons, do they exist down there?"

A laugh emerges from deep in his throat. "The demons are what give you nightmares. I can't even begin to explain their complex nature, you'll most definitely see one down there." He looks back at me, then laughs at my worried expression. "Like I said before, Juliet, if I go into further detail, you'll refuse to go down there."

"But I want to be warned beforehand, so I know what to expect." I say, hoping he won't tell me. I should be told now, but I'm already beginning to stress about it. I don't want to worry anymore about this until the time comes.

"I'll tell you a different time." He reads my mind.

"Fine. Do you have a sibling, Colton?" I ask. Maybe the reason he has no empathy about Nick is because he doesn't have siblings of his own and couldn't understand what I'm going through.