Family can be confusing

Jackson Pov
   "Do you wanna marry me?" I asked Jo while I was terrified. I knew she wasn't against the idea and I love her. I spent everyday since the day she told me she would be ok with marrying me planning how I would ask her. So I asked Arizona to keep her distracted while I get Amelia, Link, Mer, and Levi to help me make the perfect proposal for Jo and Arizona said of course.

   I finally asked her and it was silent for a second. I looked at her face and she looked so happy. "OF COUSE!!!" She said and I stood up. She jumped into my arms and we started to kiss. The whole hospital began to cheer for us. "Congratulations!" Link says to Jo and Jo smiles. Jo turns to Arizona. "I told you, you are gonna be engaged soon!" Arizona said to her. "YOU KNEW?!" she yells at arizona and arizona nods. Jo turns to me. "SHE KNEW!?" I say and laugh. "WHO ELSE KNEW?" I ask and everyone raises their hands. "WHAT!?" she says shocked and I laugh. "I CANT BELIEVE EVERYONE WAS ABLE TO KEEP IT A SECRET!" She says in shock. "Yea well it was supposed to keep it a secret but I accidentally told Helm, who told Deluca, who told Richard, who told Bailey, who didn't tell anyone." Levi says ashamed and Jo laughs at him. "Of course you did." "Mommy!" little amelia says running towards her with her little legs. "Now i'm gonna be wike all my fwends at school! My mama and dada will be married!" She says and I pick her up and give her a big hug. "Your mama and dads will be married!" Jo says looking at her with a big smile. Harriet comes over "Good job dad, you're proposal was surprisingly good!" Harriet says. "Surprisingly?" I ask. "Well apparently you didn't even propose to mom you just interrupted her wedding and told her you love her and well...that obviously didn't turn out well so this is 'surprisingly' good" She tells me and I hear Meredith cracking up. "Have I ever told you how much I love that kid!" she says and Jo laughs.

   Jo, Harriet, Amelia and I drive home after a very successful proposal. We realise it's kate and passed Amelia's bedtime so we put her to bed. When  Jo and I are done tucking Amelia in we notice Harriet sitting in the couch. "Harriet, everything alright?" Jo asked. "Yes, it's just...idk it's stupid" Harriet sighs. "Your feelings are valid, not stupid, what's going on? you can tell us." Jo says walking up to her and I join them on the couch. "Everything alright Har?" I ask. "I'm just confused." she says to us. "about what?" I ask. "Well, you guys are getting married, but you aren't my biological mother...but my biological mother is married to her ex-fiancé and he's my stepdad. But my dad and mom were married. So I don't understand how that works. Because I love my stepdad but he's not you, dad. But you're my stepmom and I feel the same way about you as I do my real mom." Harriet says and seems really sad. "Well family can be confusing and blood doesn't make people family, love does. I've never understood family, not when I was younger and I still don't now. People expect parents to understand family by now, they expect parents to have all the answers but the truth is they don't. I don't understand family, Your dad doesn't understand family, your mom doesn't, and I don't know your stepdad that well but i garnered he doesn't understand how family works either. Family can be whatever you want it to be. If you want me to be you're stepmom I can do that. If you want to keep calling me mama you can do that. But just know we're all to our family and no matter what you want to call me, or any of us is plz as long as you're comfortable. And maybe I can't help with your confusion or maybe I can, I don't know but family is what you make it out to be." Jo says and I'm in awe of the way she explained that to Harriet. She doesn't talk to Harriet like she's  a little 8 year old. She talks to her like a normal person and I love that. I know I made the right choice with her. "So are you ok with me calling you mom?" Harriet asks and I notice Jo's face lit up. Harriets only ever called her mama so this meant a lot to Jo. "Of course I'm ok with that" Jo says with a big smile and Harriet cuddled into Jo. "Ok mom!" Harriet says with a giggle and I move close to them. "Mom, Dad? I know that I'm supposed to go to bed in 5 minutes but is it ok If I watch just 1 episode of victorious?" she asked adorably and I laugh. "Sure it is" I say and I watch as my daughter celebrates.

   After the episode is over I notice Harriet fell asleep on the couch with her head on Jo's shoulder and I smile. "Let's bring this peanut up to bed" I say as I lift Harriet up off of Jo and carry her to her room. Jo follows me and we both kiss harriet goodnight, even though she's asleep and doesn't know we do it.

   I'm in bed already and Jo turns off the lights right before joining me. "Today was a good day" she says with a smile and kisses me. "Oh yea?" I say laughing. "Yea, I like being engaged" she says and kisses me some more. "and I like being called mom" she adds in between the kiss.  "Oh really" I say pulling her closer to me. "Well why don't I call you mommy" I suggest. "And i'll call you daddy" and adds. Let's just say....we didn't get much sleep that night.

————————————————————————#1 in jowilson today!!! thank you guys so much