Chapter 2

"Any sign of him?" Wu asked as he made his way over to the computer.

Pixal took a step back from the screen in defeat. "Nothing," she reported. "All communications seem to be down."

Wu sighed. It had been days since he had last seen his nephew. "What about the Overlord?" he pressed.

Pixal shook her head. "No sign of the Overlord," she said. "Or any of the Baddies."

"That's a good thing, right?" Jay asked, joining the others.

"Yeah," Kai agreed. "No news is good news. Maybe the Overlord gave up."

Wu rubbed his beard. "Not likely, Kai," he sighed. "He must be planning something. After all, he couldn't have transformed into a human for nothing."

"So what are we going to do?" Cole inquired.

"We have no way of tracking Lloyd, so it looks like we'll have to search for both him and the Overlord without any sort of knowledge of their whereabouts." Wu turned to Pixal. "Pixal, set a course to search the area. We might be out there a while."

Pixal nodded and headed up the stairs to the upper deck.

"This is pointless!" Cole exclaimed. "We'll be looking forever!"

Wu gazed at him. "We have no other choice." As the black ninja looked at the ground, Wu scanned the people in front of him. "Where is my brother?" he asked.

"On the deck with Nya," Jay answered.

Wu frowned. Ever since Lloyd had been taken captive, Garmadon hadn't been himself, and by the tone of Jay's voice, Wu knew he still didn't. Dipping his head to the others, Wu swept past them and climbed up the stairs. When he walked onto the deck, he halted as Nya came over to him. He stared at her questionably, and she shook her head in answer to his silent question. Wu looked past her and spotted Garmadon near the edge of the Bounty, staring out into the distance. Gaze softening, Wu walked over to him.

Garmadon's eyes were distant and he didn't turn to his brother.

"Brother," Wu began, "what's troubling you?"

"I'm just helping to scout the area," Garmadon replied stiffly.

Wu laid his hand on his brother's shoulder. "He's going to be okay," he murmured, knowing what Garmadon was really thinking.

Garmadon gave a sigh and at last looked at Wu. "How do we know that?" he demanded. "I know how powerful the Overlord is. What if he... What if he..."

"Don't think like that, Brother," Wu told him. "The Overlord may be powerful, but so is Lloyd. We will find him, and everything will be fine."

Garmadon turned back to the forest. "You always say that," he muttered.

"And I'm always right, aren't I?" Wu urged.

Garmadon heaved another sigh. "I guess," he grumbled.

"Good." Wu patted his brother's shoulder. "Now come on, there's work to be done."

As Wu headed toward the upper deck, Garmadon drew away from the railing, still staring into the distance. Hang in there, Lloyd, he called silently. We're coming.

* * *

The next day, Lloyd awoke to another bowl of hot soup near him. He devoured it hungrily, ignoring the other plate of cold bread.

Over the next few days, he was given a fresh bowl of soup every time he awoke, although he still couldn't make out who it was that was caring for him. He gradually felt his strength begin to return, and confidence began to stir inside of him. I'm gonna get out of here, he told himself. Soon.