Chapter 1: Pilot

Toni's POV

I woke up with a groan. I could hear the annoying sound of my alarm clock beeping repeatedly beside me, but I chose to ignore it. Don't you just hate the first day of school? I pulled the warm and cozy covers closer to my body, being my lazy self and trying to go back to sleep. Soon enough, my alarm stopped beeping and I smiled a little with relief.
"Toni, get up!" Elena, my younger sister, shouted at me, whilst standing at the head of my bed.
"Just five more minutes," I groaned, tiredly, then I tried to ignore her. Elena walked over to the window and pulled the curtains open quickly. This just caused me to groan again and turn onto my side so my back was facing the window. Elena sighed, clearly annoyed at me already.
"Get up, we need to get to school!" she shouted at me again. Sometimes it feels like she should be the older one, since I was much more childish and immature.
"Fine," I sighed, giving in. I sat up on the bed, whilst Elena left the room, clearly pleased at herself for waking me up. I rubbed my eyes with the back of one hand, whilst I stretched the other arm up to the ceiling. I sighed and slowly stood up. My warm bare feet were tingling against the cold wooden flooring. As quickly as I could, which turned out to be quite slow since I was still tired, I walked over to my closet, took out my clothes for today and put them on. Grabbing my bag, I stepped out of my room and started heading down the stairs.
"Toast, I can make toast," I heard Jenna say, whilst I slowly reached the end of the staircase. I turned and paced towards the kitchen.
"It's all about the coffee, Aunt Jenna," I heard Elena comment, while pouring a cup of coffee. I strolled inside the kitchen and took the coffee cup, right out of Elena's hand, recieving a glare from her. This made me sarcastically return an innocent smile, which made Elena roll her eyes and smile a small smile. She then started pouring another cup, knowing she wouldn't get the coffee back.
"Is there coffee?" Jeremy asked, having just come down the stairs and entered the kitchen.
"Your first day of school and I'm totally unprepared," Jenna stated. Jeremy took a cup and held it out to Elena, which she generously filled with coffee. I stopped my coffee, testing if it was cold enough to drink yet, which it wasn't.
"Lunch money?" Jenna offered, holding some cash towards the three of us.
"I'm okay," Elena commented, whilst I shook my head and Jeremy took the money from Jenna, without saying anything. I rolled my eyes at my younger brother, knowing that the money would most likely not be spent on lunch. I drank my coffee, which was finally cool enough, and placed the empty cup in the sink.
"Anything else? A number two pencil? What am I missing?" Jenna questioned, frantically looking around. I slightly smiled, noticing how hard Aunt Jenna was trying to help us and be a good Guardian.
"Don't you have a big presentation today?" Elena asked, looking at Jenna for confirmation.
"I'm meeting with my thesis advisor at...now," Jenna notices, looking down at her watch. She pulled her hair out of a ponytail before swearing under her breath.
"Then go. We'll be fine," I promised, looking at Jenna. She quickly grabs her bags and leaves, which left the three siblings in the kitchen together.
"You okay?" Elena asked, looking at Jeremy concerned.
"Don't start," Jeremeny commented rudely, making me scoff. He walked out of the kitchen, coffee in hand. Me and Elena just stared out the window for a while, before I picked up my bag and left, planning on walking to school alone.
...
Walking up to the school, it was already really crowded, with people meeting up with their friends and most likely bragging about things they did over the summer. Knowing that Elena came to school with Bonnie, I decided on waiting for them inside. I walked through the halls until I eventually found my locker. I entered the combination and started putting my books inside it.
"Find a man and coin a phrase. It's a bust year," I heard Bonnie comment. I looked in the direction I heard her voice and saw the two friends leaning against some lockers.
Knowing they hadn't seen me yet, I quickly admired the girl standing next to my sister. She looked so beautiful and happy, and that made my heart beat just that tiny bit faster. For a while now, I have had a bit of a crush on Bonnie Bennett, but I'd never admit that out loud. I had known I was a lesbian for a year before our parents died, but I didn't get a chance to tell them since I was scared to. I hadn't told anyone that I was lesbian, since I didn't want to bother anyone with something that didn't even matter, because I had never even had a boyfriend, let alone a girlfriend.
Quickly, I walked over to them, knowing they didn't catch me staring at Bonnie. Elena waved at Matt, who was across the hall from us. He didn't reply and just walked away.
"He hates me," Elena commented.
"That's not hate. That's 'You dumped me but I'm too cool to show it but secretly listening to Air Supply's greatest hits'" Bonnie replied, making me chuckle a little under my breath. I nodded, in agreement with Bonnie. When our parents died in the car crash, we were all devastated, but I was too proud to show it and just wanted to be there to take care of my younger siblings. Elena ended up breaking up with her boyfriend, who also happened to be one our closest friends, since we've known eachother since birth.
"Oh my god, Elena," I heard Caroline's voice say, breaking my train of thought. The blonde haired girl ran towards my sister and squeezed the life out of her, which made me smirk. Unfortunately,
after breaking her hug with Elena, Caroline enveloped me in a bone-crushing hug, making me groan quietly, knowing Caroline probably didn't mean to hurt me.
"How are you? It's so good to see you," Caroline asked, whilst still cutting off my oxygen supply. Eventually, Caroline pulled away and faced Bonnie.
"How are they? Are they good?" the blonde asked the brunette. I rolled my eyes at the girl.
"Caroline, we're right here. And, we're fine, thank you," Elena answered for the both of us. I nodded, to show I agreed with what Elena was saying.
"Really?" Caroline asked with concern and worry, making me genuinely smile with how caring the blonde was.
"Much better," Elena replied.
"Oh you poor things," she commented, pulling me and my sister into another hug. I looked over Caroline's shoulder whilst she was still hugging us, to see Bonnie playfully smirking, so I playfully glared at her in return. The blonde let go of me and my sister.
"Okay, see you guys later," Caroline said, departing as soon as she said that. After she was gone, Bonnie gave me and Elena a look.
"No comment," "Not gonna say anything," Elena and I commented at the same time. We all chuckled a little, before heading down the halls again.
...
When walking down the halls, Bonnie abruptly stopped, holding us back whilst we stood outside an office.
"Hold up. Who's this?" Bonnie asked. Following her line of vision, I saw a boy's back. He had brown hair and didn't look special, but that was probably because I wasn't attracted to guys. He looked new, since I didn't recognise him, even if we could only see his back.
"All I see is back," Elena pointed out.
"It's a hot back," Bonnie commented back, making me feel a slight pang of jealousy, but I hid it really well, since I had to hide most of my emotions from my siblings, not wanting them to worry about me.
"I'm sensing Seattle and he plays guitar," Bonnie continued.
"You're gonna run this psychic thing into the ground, huh?" Elena asked. Apparently, according to Bonnie's grandma, Bonnie is a psychic. She can apparently predict things in the future, but I believe that it's utter nonsense.
"Pretty much," Bonnie replied to Elena'd comment.
The moment was interrupted when I heard someone in the background saying something about Jeremy and drugs. I sighed and rolled my eyes, knowing that me and Elena are going to follow Jeremy and confront him. This is not how I wanted to start the day I thought to myself. I saw Jeremy walk into the men's bathroom. Elena started waking towards it, so I followed just a few steps behind my sister. We entered the bathroom. When in the room, some random dude bumped into Elena, saying something, but I didn't hear what. Elena and I walked towards Jeremy and Elena grabbed our brother's face.
"Great. It's the first day of school and you're stoned," Elena commented, letting go of Jeremy. I sighed, knowing this wasn't going to end well.
"No, I'm not," he lied. I rolled my eyes.
"Where is it? Is it on you?" Elena asked, starring to search Jeremy.
"Stop. Chill yourself. Alright?" Jeremy asked.
"Chill myself. What is that stoner talk?" Elena retorted, making me smirk internally.
"Dude, you are so cool," I commented sarcastically, but was ignored by my siblings.
"I don't have anything. Are you crazy?" Jeremy questioned, while Elena still searched him.
"You haven't seen crazy, Jeremy," Elena answered, making me smirk, even though I probably shouldn't have.
"We gave you a summer pass, but I am done watching you destroy yourself," Elena finished. Jeremy attempted to leave the bathroom, but I started to get angry, since I have done everything I can to make sure my siblings are happy, but he just wanted to destroy his life and possibly end it. Deciding to finally interfere, and not just stand watching from the sidelines, I held Jeremy back stopping him from leaving.
"No, you know what? Go ahead, keep it up. Just know that we are going to be there to ruin your buzz everytime. You got it?" I declared.
"Jeremy, we know who you are. And it's not this person, do don't be this person," Elena added on, and I nodded my head in agreement.
"I don't need this," Jeremy said, walking away. I bought my hand to my head and placed it on my forehead, sighing.
After a while, me and my sister started to walk out of the men's bathroom. Elena went out first, and ended up bumping into someone's chest.
"Uh-pardon me," the boy asked. He was the new boy from earlier, and even I could tell, he was quite attractive. Elena looked star-struck, obviously feeling attracted to him, while he looked quite awkward, which made sense since two girls just walked out of the men's bathroom. I smirked, excited to see how this plays out.
"Is this the men's room?" he asked. Thepoor boy looked so confused, making me smirk even more. Elena started stuttering and I sighed, deciding to be the better sister and not let Elena embarrass herself even more.
"Yes this is the men's room. It's a long story including an annoying little brother, but frankly it's none of your business," I commented, with the same level of rudeness I usually use, and a little more considering I was still a little jealous that he had Bonnie's attention. Elena glared at me, clearly wanting to make a good impression towards the boy. Meanwhile, the guy was looking quite amused. My sister punched me in the arm, which only hurt slightly before turning her attention back towards the boy.
"Sorry about my sister, she's a bit rude," Elena apologised on my behalf. I rolled my eyes at her. After a short while of silence, I decided on just grabbing my sister's arm and pulling her away from the boy, heading to where Bonnie was before.
"You're welcome," I muttered, after we reached Bonnie. I then went to class, which didn't have Bonnie, Caroline or Elena in since I was in the year above
...
The day passed as per usual, nothing out of the ordinary happened. I hadn't seen the new guy again, but that didn't really bother me. I could tell that my sister liked him, so we'd probably meet again very soon. I went straight home after school, knowing Elena would be at the cemetery and Jeremy would probably be with the other druggies. I went straight up into my room, knowing I couldn't stop Jeremy because he wouldn't listen and Elena had to deal with our parent's death. Soon, I needed to meet Caroline, Bonnie and my sister at Mystic Grill, but I had enough time.
⚠️ Possible Trigger Warning ⚠️