Chapter 2: Night of the Comet

Toni's POV

I was in the woods at night. I could hear some quiet music and saw a yellow tent. It was night, which made it that much ominous.
"Hey, do you hear that?" I heard a girl ask from inside the tent.
"Hear what?" A boy asked.
"I hear thunder," the girl replied.
"There's no thunder," the boy commented. By now, I was inside the tent, watching them kiss eachother.
"Are you sure? Because of it rains, we won't be able to see the Comet," the girl reminded the boy.
"It's not gonna rain. Listen, I got you a little something. It's back in the car. Don't you move," the boy assured the girl. I smiled a little, since they seemed like a really cute couple. But then I realised, they hadn't seen me. I was clearly dreaming, but why was I dreaming about a couple? The girl nodded her head, before the boy kissed her one more time before getting up and leaving the tent. I had a bad feeling.
"Stay dry," the girl asked.
"It's not gonna rain," the boy replied. I watched as the girl sighed. I couldn't help but notice she was quite pretty, but she was obviously straight and had a boyfriend. She was also imaginary, which was a definite red flag. I heard pattering on the tent. My immediate thought was rain, but my instincts told me it wasn't.
"I knew it," the girl said to herself, with a smile. She stepped outside and I followed. The boy was nowhere to be seen. Then the girl looked up and I followed soon after. The sight horrified me. The boy's body was in a tree, and the pattering on the tent, was his blood dripping from his body. I was in shock. I couldn't move or scream. The girl screamed at the sight and started running. I followed after her. She got to her car, and started shouting at the door to open. I couldn't see who or what it was, I just saw a dark shadow as it approached the girl.

With that, I woke up screaming. I looked at my clock. It read 2:30am. With that I sighed, wrapping the covers around my body in an attempt to comfort myself. I knew it wouldn't work, but it was worth a try.
...
In the morning I got dressed and headed out of my room. When I was out, I saw Elena walking out of her room and Jenna approaching her. Jenna stopped Elean outside her door
"Hold on. Do I look like an adult? As in, respectively parental?" Jenna asked Elena. I snuck up behind Jenna.
"Depends where you're going?" I answered for Elena, causing Jenna to jump a little and then regain her posture.
"Jeremy's parent-teacher conference," Jenna stated. Oh dear I said in my head.
"Hair up or down?" Jenna asked, staring at herself in a mirror. She put her hair up with her hand and turned to us.
"Sexy stewardess," Elena commented.
Jenna put her hair down.
"Boozy housewife," she commented.
"Up it is," Jenna declared, putting her hair up.
"You're feisty today," Jenna commented to Elena.
"I feel good," Elena replied. I smirked, knowing it was because of a certain boy.
"Which is rare, so I've decided to go with it. Fly free. Walk around on sunshine and all that stuff," Elena continued. Then I noticed we have one person missing from this interaction.
"Where is Jeremy?" I asked, confused.
"Oh, he left early. Something about getting to woodshop early to finish a birdhouse," Jenna replied. I gave her a pointed look. Jenna saw me and then noticed what she said.
"There is no woodshop, is there?" she asked us. Me and Elena shook our heads.
"No," Elena answered.
"Yeah," Jenna realised.
...
Turns out I missed a lot. Vicki Donnovan, Matt's brother, was attacked and was in the hospital. I had just finished my lesson and was trying to find my sister. I saw her in the hall, walking with none other than Stefan Salvatore. I smirked at them.
"Where did you get it?" I heard Elena ask Stefan.
"It was passed down through the family," Stefan replied. I walked over to them, still wearing a huge smirk on my face. Stefan was handing Elena a book and they were both smiling at eachother. I decided to leave them, noticing the smile my sister wore was genuine. I found Bonnie and Caroline and walked up to them.
"Crazy family, yes. Witches, I don't think so" I heard Bonnie comment as I walked up to them.
"Hey," I greeted.
"Hi," they both greeted back.
"Well, feel free to conjure up the name and number of that guy from last night," Caroline commented.
"I didn't see him. You did. Why didn't you talk to him?" Bonnie stated.
"I don't know. I was drunk," Caroline replied.
...
"I was talking to Grams. She said that the Comet is a sign of impending doom," Bonnie commented.
"Well that's reassuring," I mumbled to myself.
"The last time it passed over Mystic Falls, there was lots of death. So much blood and carnage, it created a bed of paranormal activity," Bonnie finished. Me, Caroline, Bonnie and Elena were all sitting outside on a bench.
"Yeah, and then you poured Grams another shot and she told you about the aliens," Caroline commented, sarcastically, "So then what?" Caroline turned to Elena.
"So then nothing," Elena answered.
"You and Stefan talked all night. There was no sloppy first kiss or touchy-feely of any kind?" Caroline asked, clearly jealous.
"Nope, we didn't go there," Elena answered.
"Not even a handshake? I mean, Elena, we are your friends and Toni's your sister. Okay? You are supposed to share the smut," Caroline explained.
"When I'm not here that is. Don't need to know if my sister's a bottom or a top," I commented, making them all look at me. I raised my hands in mock surrender.
"We just talked for hours," Elena admitted.
"What is with the blockage? Just jump his bones already. Okay, it's easy. Boy likes girl, girl like boy, sex," Caroline explained. I was very close to correcting her to person likes person instead of boy and girl, but decided to leave it.
"Profound," Elena commented. Then she started to pack up.
"Where are you going?" Bonnie asked.
"Caroline's right. It is easy. If I sit here long enough, I'll end up talking myself out of it instead of doing what I started the day saying I was going to do," Elena explained.
"Wait, I'll drive you. I don't trust you to drive the car and I can't have you walk home alone in the dark," I commented, picking up my bag.
"Okay," Elena agreed as we got in the car.
I pulled the car up and admired the huge house. I walked up with Elena, knowing that she would go off with Stefan so I at least wanted to see the house instead of waiting in the car for my sister to finish having sex. Elena rung the bell and then used the knocker. While using the knocker, the door opened on it's own. Elena looked at me but I just shrugged and walked past her into the mansion.
"Stefan?" Elena called out twice. The door creaked so we both turned towards it. A black crow came and flew straight at us, causing us to turn around. We were met by the face of a man. He didn't look that much older than us. He had raven black hair and piercing blue eyes. Elena gasped, shocked and afraid, while I just waved a little.
"I'm sorry for barging in," Elena apologised. I rolled my eyes.
"I'm not. If you don't want people to come in, lock your doors," I explained rudely. Elena nudged my arm with her elbow. The man looked at my sister.
"You must be Elena," he commented, staring at my sister.
"No, I'm Toni, the better sibling," I greeted, holding my hand out. He shook my hand, looking amused.
"I'm Damon. Stefan's brother," He introduced. We stopped shaking hands and he went back to staring at my sister.
"Stefan didn't tell me he had a brother," Elena stated.
"Well Stefan's not one to brag. Please, come," Damon commented and welcomed us into his mansion, "I'm sure Stefan will be along any second." We entered the living room, and to say it was big would be an understatement. Making myself at home, I plopped down on the couch and leaned back.
"Wow. This is your living room?" Elena asked. I rolled my eyes internally, not wanting to receive another glare.
"Living room, parlor, Sotheby's auction. It's a little kitschy for my taste," Damon explained, while Elena looked around and I closed my eyes.
"I see why my brother's so smitten. It's about time. I never thought he'd get over the last one. Nearly destroyed him," Damon commented. I smirked at his words, knowing he was just teasing Elena. Although I love my sister to pieces, it's amusing to see her annoyed and it's even more fun to annoy her.
"The last one?" Elena asked, confused.
"Yeah. Katherine. His girlfriend?" Damon explained. I rolled my eyes internally.
"Oh, you two haven't had the awkward exes conversation yet," Damon stated.
"Nope they haven't," I commented from my seat, "By the way, can I steal this couch?"
"No you can't take the couch, Toni," Elena said, taking my serious comment, seriously.
"Oops. Well, I'm sure it'll come up now. Maybe he didn't tell you because he didn't want you to think he was on the rebound. We all know how those relationships end," Damon commented.
"I don't," I stated, raising my hand. Elena didn't pay attention to me while Damon smirked. I had a feeling we'd probably get along and end up being great friends.
"You say it like every relationship is doomed to end," Elena stated.
"I'm a fatalist," Damon explained.
"Hello, Stefan," Damon greeted without looking away from Elena.
"Like that's not creepy," I muttered, so quietly that no human would be able to hear it.
"Elena. I didn't know you were coming over," Stefan stated.
"I'm here to you know," I mentioned, intervening in the intense-looking scene.
"I know, I should've called..." Elena started.
"Oh. Don't be silly. You're welcome anytime. Aren't they Stefan?" Damon interrupted, mentioning me.
"I should break out the family photo albums or some home movies. But, I have to warn you, he wasn't always such a looker," Damon continued.
"Yes please," I asked, finally getting up and walking towards the little huddle my sister and the two boys made.
"Thank you for stopping by, Elena. It was nice to see you," Stefan stated.
"Am I invisible or what?" I asked. The two brothers had a stare off.
"Yeah, we should probably go. It was nice to meet you, Damon" Elena stated.
"Great meeting you two Elena, Toni," Damon replied. He kissed my sister's hand before turning to me.
"If you kiss my hand, I'm gonna slap you hard around the face. Also, here's my number. If you send me those photos and videos, I'll send you some of Elena. Not to be rude or anything, but she wasn't the prettiest child," I said, giving him a piece of paper with my phone number on. Elena glared at me, Stefan glared at Damon and Damon smirked at me.
"I'll keep that in mind," Damon announced. Elena grabbed me by my upper arm before leaving their house.
...
It was the night of the Comet, and I could help but think back to that crazy dream I had. Sure it was wierd, but who has normal nightmares? I was walking behind Elena and Bonnie, while they walked side by side.
"He didn't call, huh?" Bonnie asked Elena, talking about Stefan.
"Or text," Elena mentioned, "Then I realised, we never even exchanged that stuff. We never got to the texting part."
"That's an important milestone," Bonnie stated.
"Isn't it?" Elena replied. Most days go like this, as you can tell. I just listen to everyone else's conversations, hanging around. I barely ever make a comment, when I do the comment is usually either sarcastic, ignored or sarcastically but still gets ignored. I'm like the third wheel in everyone's relationships, including friendships. I zoned out for the rest of the conversation, not really caring about what they're talking about, which I believe is Stefan.
...
It was the time of the Comet, and I was with my sister, Bonnie and Caroline. Matt walked up to us and we each had a candle in hand.
"Hey," Matt greeted.
"Hey," Elena greeted back. Matt lit up her candle using the flame from his.
"Thank you," Elena thanked him.
"You're welcome," Matt replied. They both finally smiled at eachother. Stefan appeared, but Elena clearly didn't notice it was him. She lit up his candle using the flame from hers.
"Thank you," Stefan thanked. Elena looked up at him. She looked back at Matt, then walked away from Stefan. However, Stefan followed after Elena.
"You know, that Comet, it's been travelling across space for thousands of years. All alone," I heard Stefan say. Sure, it was bad to eavesdrop, but that doesn't stop me from doing it. I ended up runing out of the conversation again, but it wasn't because I was bored or I didn't care. I heard something. Someone. It was a voice. I looked around frantically, trying to find who was the owner of the voice. Since I couldn't find who it was, I tried to hear what he/she was saying. However, I couldn't understand it. The voice was so quite and it's words were all mumbled so I didn't understand. I was worried and I couldn't take it.

Possible Trigger Warning ⚠️

I raced home as fast as my legs could carry me. Everyone was our watching the Comet, so it was an empty house.
"Jenna?!" I called out, to see if anyone was home.
"Jeremy?!" I yelled. I knew Elena was watching the Comet, so I didn't bother shouting for her. I was so desperate to feel in control again. I was losing my mind. I couldn't control my dreams and I couldn't stop the voice in my head that just won't stop. I ran into the kitchen and searched through all the drawers until I found it. I pulled out a sharp knife and placed it onto my skin, cutting it. The red liquid began to ooze out if the first cut. I couldn't feel it though. I just felt numb. Desperate, I cut into my arm again. The red liquid spilled but I was still spiralling. I changed arms and started by making a tiny cut, almost like a prick, on my arm. The liquid came out but I still felt numb. I knew that if I cut anymore, the risk of too much blood loss would increase, but I didn't care. I cut my arm three more times. I felt a little faint but I just ignored it. On the fifth cut, there was silence. It wasn't because I had fainted or died. It was because th whispering in my ears had disappeared. I sighed, putting the knife down on the counter with shaky hands. I took a towel and placed it under the cool water of the tap. I gently cleaned my arms, not hissing in pain since I was used to it. I searched through the cupboards before I found badages. I bandaged my arms. I cleaned the kitchen floor and counter, getting rid of the blood that had dripped from my arms and onto the floor. I took off my party clothes and changed into comfortable and loose ones (still with long sleeves). I washed the blood-stained clothes and put them away. Once I had finished, you couldn't even tell what had happened.
...
Bonnie's POV

I looked around, hoping to see Toni somewhere but I couldn't seem to find her. I scanned the crowd, looking for her but still couldn't see her. I sighed.
"Who are you looking for?" Caroline asked from beside me, disturbing my train of thought.
"It doesn't matter. They're not here," I stated, sadly. I don't know what I was feeling towards Toni exactly, but I knew that I hoped we could be more than friends one day.
"Wait a second. Do you have a crush?" Caroline asked, suddenly excited.
"Maybe I do, maybe I don't," I replied. Caroline just smiled to herself, knowing that I wouldn't tell her. We went into the Mystic Grill.
Inside, there were a lot of people, but we sat down at an empty booth.
"So much drama. Ever notice how the druggies are the biggest attention whores?" Caroline asked from beside me, clearly a little tipsy.
"Yeah," I replied honestly. Stefan came over to our table.
"Have you guys seen Elena?" Stefan asked us.
"I think she went home with Toni," I replied, being friendly. He started walking away, but I decided to step up and be a good friend.
"I'm gonna give you Elena's cell number and her e-mail. She is big on texting and you can tell her I said so," I said, writing down the number and e-mail.
"Thank you," Stefan thanked. I handed it to him, but suddenly felt something wierd. It was cold and dark. It felt like...death. I immediately let go and looked at him with wide eyes and panting a lot.
"You okay?" Stefan asked.
"What happened to you?" I whispered, freaked out as hell. Then I noticed what I said and decided to play it cool.
"That was so rude. I'm sorry. Excuse me," I apologised, going away.