Four

*Jack's POV*

"It's nothing personal North," I say as we exit an elevator, "what you all do, it's just not my thing."

"Man in Moon says it is your thing!" the big man bellows, signing a piece of parchment held out by one of the Yetis. "We will see."

I glance behind me at (Y/N), who quickly jumps to beside North and raises her eyebrows. I can't help wondering what Bunny was on about, about not knowing her. Of course I know her, she's my closest friend. My only friend.

"Slow down, would you?" I call ahead, jogging to catch up. "We've been tryna bust in here for years, I wanna get a good look."

"What do you mean bust in?" North asks indignantly, glaring between me and (Y/N).

"We never got past the Yetis," she shrugs, nodding to one as it walks past. "Hey, Phil."

"Keep up, Jack, keep up!" North calls, and I realise that him and (Y/N) have pulled ahead again. I wish she'd just walk next to me.

I can't help but stare as we pass countless shelves of newly made toys, all waiting to be delivered to children across the globe. I narrowly dodge a toy airplane swooping low, almost banging into (Y/N) as she appears beside me.

"Can you stop doing that?" I ask, pushing her shoulder playfully.

"What do you mean?" She tilts her head to the side, feigning innocence.

I shake my head, looking away from her. "I always thought the elves made the toys," I say, running to catch up with North.

"Just let them believe that," he whispers, nudging my side with an elbow.

"Jack," (Y/N) says softly, pointing to where two of the little creatures are playing with some Christmas lights. As we watch, one of them flicks a switch, sending a current of electricity through the lights, immobilising its friend.

"Very nice," North congratulates them. "Keep up good work."

We continue on, past a Yeti hand painting a plethora of robots.

"That's cool," (Y/N) notes, nodding to the rows of blue toys.

"I don't like it," North shouts to the Yeti, "paint it red! Step it up, everybody!"

"Wait what was wrong with the blue?" she asks, popping up next to North as the Yeti groans, collapsing onto the work bench.

"Not Christmassy enough?" I suggest, raising my eyebrows.

"Come, come, we are almost there." North ignores us both, leading us up a flight of stairs and into a small, quiet office. The ceiling is ice, heavy wooden work tables and shelves lined with old toys covering the walls. In the centre of the room, an elaborate train track made of ice stands glittering, catching the light form the window.

"Woah..." I breathe, staring.

"Tryna catch a fly?" (Y/N) jokes, hitting my chin with her finger. I didn't even notice my mouth was open.

"Hey!" I protest, but she's already out of reach, grinning over her shoulder at me.

"Fruitcake?" North asks, holding one out, glancing between us.

"Uh, no, thanks," I say, watching as (Y/N) disappears, popping into existence a few metres away, the light from the window catching on her (y/h/c) hair. She's not lit up like she was on the roof, but somehow she still glows.

She looks up from inspecting something on a table next to her, jumping to beside our host and taking a piece. "It's good," she mumbles around a mouthful, but it comes out more like "if foof".

North shrugs, tossing the cake aside and cracking his knuckles. "Now, we get down to tacks of brass."

"Tacks of..." I jump as the door behind me slams, stumbling back as North advances across the room, glaring.

"Who are you, Jack Frost?" he growls. "What is your centre?"

"My centre?" I ask, my back now pressed against the wall. "(Y/N), help me—"

"No!" the huge man's hand snaps out, and I hear a grunt of annoyance. "If Man in Moon chose you to be a Guardian, you must have something very special inside. Hmm..." he draws back stroking his beard with a hand.

I glance at (Y/N), who simply shrugs and takes another bite of her fruitcake, her eyes trained on North.

"Here," he continues, grabbing something from a shelf and coming back over to me. "This is how you see me, no?" he holds out a Russian doll, its face set in a scowl. "Very big, intimidating. But if you get to know me a little..." he passes it to me, gesturing to open it. "Well, go on."

I take it, resting my staff on the wall and twisting to reveal a second layer. This North is smiling, his cheeks flushed pink with laughter. "You are... downright jolly?"

"But not just jolly! I am also mysterious," he says as I take off the next layer, "and fearless," another layer, "and caring," another layer. "And at my centre?" he holds out his hand, and I tip the last piece into his massive palm. A model of a baby stares up at me, its comically large eyes painted the brightest shade of blue.

"There's a tiny wooden baby?"

"Look closer," North urges, "what do you see?"

"Big eyes." (Y/N)'s voice makes me jump, and I almost drop the wooden baby. She's standing right beside me, peering at the doll and frowning. "Very symbolic."

"Yes!" North completely ignores (Y/N), still talking to me. "Big eyes. Very big. Because they are full of wonder. That is my centre, it is what I was born with. Eyes that have always seen the wonder in everything! Eyes that see light, and trees, and the magic in the air. This wonder is what I put into the world," he continues, leading us back out of the little office. "And it is what I protect in children. It is what makes me a Guardian. It is my centre, what is yours?"

I sigh. "I don't know."

North smiles, folding my fingers around the baby still clutched in my hand. Automatically, I glance at (Y/N), but she's already looking at me. I can't quite read her expression, but I think it's somewhere between thoughtful and apprehensive. Why would she be worried?

"We have a problem mate." Bunny's voice snaps me out my thoughts, and I turn to see him and Sandy at the doorway. "Trouble at the Tooth palace."